Electric Issues On Sprint Gt 1050

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Manuel C., Sep 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Manuel C.

Manuel C. Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Hi everybody,
    My stator is in Roissy airport, Paris...so it will soon arrive here (170 km…), received the gasket yesterday (made in USA too…)
    should I put dielectric grease in the connectors or not? it's the only thing I don't have to do the work...

2. Manuel C.

Manuel C. Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Job done….will start the bike tomorrow...

3. Bill the Dog

Bill the Dog New Member

Jul 3, 2020
    USA
    #63 Bill the Dog, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Well, I have to add my bike to the list of weak charging systems. I have followed this thread as well as others to solve my problems and I haven't made any headway. Here's the details:
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT with 155 miles on it (you read that right). It has obviously sitting for a long time as it had starting problems diagnosed to be a bad sprag clutch. I bought this a month or so ago. I fixed the clutch and put everything back together. The bike runs great. Except that the battery is slowly discharging. It left me dead at a gas station last week and I needed a jump start. I have tested the stator and there are no grounds that I can find. I followed DEcosse's posts about diagnosing stators and R/R. I have done most of the tests on the R/R also, but don't have a diode tester on my multimeter. The battery is virtually new and has been sitting on a battery tender the whole time I have had it (about a month). I just completed directly wiring the R/R outputs to the battery via 10 gauge wire. When I buttoned everything up, I get 11.82 volts at the battery with the key off. 11.37 volts at the battery with the key on and the lights on. 13.13 volts with the bike started and idling. 13.13 volts steady at all rpm. I expected 14ish volts when running. I am a decent mechanic, but less so with electricity. Anybody have any suggestions?

4. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Your battery is extremely discharged, perhaps even incapable of accepting a full charge at this point - probably severely sulphated, so needs to be replaced.
    The numbers you show when running indicate that your generating system is working properly (impossible to get over 13V if there is a problem) and the low voltage is simply because your battery voltage is low. If you were to put your battery on a bench charger the voltage doesn't instantly measure higher either.

A post script thought - surprised your bike even starts with battery voltage that low - so if it IS cranking strongly (which it wouldn't be if that really was in the low 11's with lights on) then perhaps a simple indicator that your meter is not reading correctly? Check it on another battery (car or whatever) and see what it reads there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Bill the Dog

Bill the Dog New Member

Jul 3, 2020
    USA
    OK, I'm off to the store to get a new one. I do believe my tester is OK as it works on all my car and other bike batteries.
    I really appreciate the help and am amazed at how fast you answered.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #66 D'Ecosse, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    I am subscribed to this thread and got a notification of a new post :)

You did say battery was new(ish) & just off the tender so that is why the low numbers are surprising and to check your meter against other known batteries
    Was it cranking strongly at a fast rate?
    Or slow and laboured?

7. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    This is how it should typically crank with a good battery (the second part with even better cranking speed is with improved battery cables)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bill the Dog

Bill the Dog New Member

Jul 3, 2020
    USA
    D'Ecosse has nailed it for me. After working and cursing for some time on my Sprint GT, doing the R/R straight to the battery I have found my problem. My multimeter was off. Mine showed 13.13 volts at the battery with the bike running at any speed. I borrowed an electrical maintenance friends DMM that had just been calibrated last week. Bang on 14.11 volts at the battery at all speeds. Thanks to everyone, especially D'Ecosse for the help.

• Like Like x 4