Featured El Gordo Goes To The Gala

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Sandi T, Mar 10, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1 Sandi T, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    This past Sunday afternoon El Gordo and I made our way to La Paloma, one of Tucson's main resorts, where Gordo was the featured "bling" and photo op for the annual Tucson Wildlife Center charity fundraiser.

IMG_9230.jpeg

The Tucson Wildlife Center is an amazing organization dedicated to rescuing and rehabbing injured wildlife. They have gone from helping 250 animals each year 23 years ago to now helping over 5,000 animal each year!
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.03.59 PM.png

My friend, Lisa, had asked me to do this two years ago in 2020 just prior to Covid hitting. But I had to decline because I couldn't ride at the time due to some injuries. But one of our riding buddies, Russell, was able to take my place at Skyline Country Club. In 2021 the event occurred virtually (somehow) and this year the event location was moved to its new venue at La Paloma. Lisa volunteers for the Wildlife Center, primarily in the role of helping organize and facilitate this annual fundraising event.
    IMG_6731.jpeg

A few weeks ago, I met up at La Paloma with Lisa and with Ashley, a La Paloma employee who assists in event planning, to figure out logistics. The primary entry into the massive lobby was tile that was like glass so we determined that I'd pull up to a double door on the far right side of the lobby instead, turn off the bike, then walk it into the lobby on a carpeted area. It was tempting to fire the bike up indoors but, nope, not allowed. DEFINITELY not allowed. :eek::joy: In fact, evidently their fire code or something or other required that my bike had 1/3 of a tank of gas or less. Interestingly, after all the fuss about that, no one checked or even asked about that when my bike was actually inside the building.
    IMG_6737.jpeg

This is Ashley and me "striking a pose" with Gordo. She was quite sweet and very excited about having a motorcycle in the lobby. I talked with her a bit about riding since I arrived during setup and she had a few minutes. I'm always happy to share my love of riding and motorcycles. My friend, Russell, calls it "fishing". I must confess, I'm always looking to encourage other women to ride! :blush: Ashley was fairly representative of the attire for the evening--fairly formal and dressy. In fact, this was the most bling and fancy dress I've seen since, well, since Covid shut down events that gave reason to get dressed up. That room you can just see through the open door was the huge banquet room where the dinner and program was held a couple of hours after this photo was taken.

A professional photographer was tasked with taking photos of attendees who wanted their photo taken with the motorcycle. It was fun and interesting to watch people look at the bike and decide how to pose, and how excited they seemed to be to be looking at and (sometimes) sitting on a real "live" motorcycle. I was a wee bit concerned about how folks might mount up on Gordo but most people either stood or the women sat side saddle. Two guys decided to hop right on and one of them wacked the fender with his shoe. :eek::scream: He didn't wack it getting off because I offered a little subtle "help". But the other guy clearly knew his way around motorcycles and respectfully--and purposefully-- lifted his leg high. I commented on that and thanked him for taking care and he shared that he's been a rider for years. I wore a black leather "biker" jacket to the event and loaned it to a few of the women for the photo op which they loved. Their faces looked like it all brought out their inner bad girl. :cool::joy:
    IMG_9228.jpeg

My friend, Russell, offered to meet me there on his motorcycle and provide any help I might need. It was nice to have him there knowing he'd done this before and we traded off hanging out by the bike and poking around the venue to see what else was going on. One of the things going on was a huge silent auction. I love silent actions but I've never, ever been to one of this magnitude! A couple of the very high end auction items included a trip to the south of France and a week at a ranch in Montana! Overall there was a lot of art, jewelry, wine, and packages for things like a spa day, golf, etc. This photo is just a part of the silent auction room--about 1/3 I'd estimate.
    IMG_6752.jpeg

The reason they've been using a motorcycle at this event is because the theme is "Born to Be Wild". ;):) Lisa said that the routine is to play that song when everyone is seated for the meal and the program to set the mood. :cool: I didn't stay for the dinner even though Lisa offered me tickets. This woman at the registration desk was definitely representative of the stunning amount of animal print attire from blouses to jackets to skirts to shoes to scarves to hats.
    IMG_6745.jpeg

La Paloma truly is one of Tucson's most beloved resorts. It has been home to a lot of great restaurants over the years and many Tucsonans use it as a base when they decided to do a "stay-cation". Rates in the winter months are astronomical but it's very reasonable in the summer--thanks to those 110ºF temperatures-- so local families go there to relax and feel a bit pampered and to lounge by this great pool with a view.:sun::heart_eyes:
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.33.33 PM.png

The lobby bar was hopping during this late Sunday afternoon. In addition to the "Born to Be Wild" event, there were a couple of national conferences going on, too.
    IMG_6729.jpeg

As people started moving from the silent auction ballroom into the dining room, that was our cue to pack it up and ride home. The photographer had moved on to snap candids of the other goings on about 10 minutes prior.
    IMG_6758.jpeg

Overall I was very glad to have been a part of this fundraising event for a terrific cause and would happily supply a bike for this event in years to come if asked. The event was a far bigger deal than I had anticipated and the Wildlife Center is a much bigger deal than I realized, too. I'm eager to get together with Lisa, the friend who asked me to participate, to hear about how the event went overall and to learn more about the Center. Who knew El Gordo had a philanthropic streak? :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 18
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Sandi T: Thank you so much for your incredible report. :kissing_heart: I was very amused by one or the other passage of your text. :joy: I hope the event was financially successful in the sense of the organization. I hope your "El Gordo" did not suffer any injuries. He will certainly remember his appearance as the "star" of this event with pleasure. :blush:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Stop showing us those blue skies Sandi! :mad: (actually they've been blue here this week)
    Great writing and pictures as ever - keep it up! :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Another great read @Sandi T . Looks like you had a great day. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Markus! It was a fun experience and El Gordo came out unscathed. :joy: I don't even think he got a big head being a star....although he does have a fat head normally. ;) I'll have to check with my friend, Lisa, on the financial success of the evening but from the looks of it I'd guess that it was very successful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Perhaps I could photoshop the skies with some dark and angry looking clouds in a few photos here and there, Steve. ;):joy: Glad that you've had some blue skies this past week, too.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    It looks like a great success @Sandi T did you hook any "fish"?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, I don't think so this time around, Mrs. Visor, but that doesn't keep me from continuing to try to bring a woman or two into the motorcycle fold at every and any opportunity. And you never know--I may have planted a seed in one of the women who threw on my biker jacket or sat sidesaddle on Gordo secretly dreaming of riding off into the sunset with her hair streaming behind her, humming "Born to Be Wild"! :cool::D:joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks for sharing your experience Sandi. I enjoyed the write up, information about the centre and learning more about your favourite short ride destination:heart_eyes: I am not sure I could let more than a child sit on my ride, but maybe if I had more than one in the stable :p well done on supporting such a great cause (“get your motors running”) and trying to increase the riding fraternity :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1