EFi Speedmaster fuse #7

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SpeedM, Sep 25, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpeedM

SpeedM Member

Apr 30, 2013
    South Coast
    Evening all, bit of a cry for help here I was riding home from work tonight and the indicators stopped working, when I got home I realised that the horn and back brake light also not working. Checked out the handbook and all said items are fed through fuse #7, an easy fix I thought change the fuse and off we go but not so. I changed the 10amp fuse with a new one and checked both old and new against the headlight fuse position which was good so fuse is ok, does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences with this? I am hoping for an easy fix before putting my bike at the mercy of the main dealer which could be expensive.

Cheers,

Speed

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Try the other fuses... Just go though each one... Mine went in the alps this year.. Bike was only 3 months old...

3. SpeedM

SpeedM Member

Apr 30, 2013
    South Coast
    Have tried all fuses and cleaned fuse positions with electrical contact cleaner and a bit of dielectric grease on fuse prongs, I changed the 10amp fuse anyway and all was ok until riding back from work next day. Same problem at the same turning about 15 miles from journey start, fuse had blown so replaced and same again next day the main dealer had a look on the next Saturday morning but could not find a fault but gave me a handful of fuses. It only happens when riding the bike and have not been able to replicate with engine running but static, I used all of the fuses so last Saturday I checked all switches on the #7 circuit cleaned and treated with dielectric grease. After a 20 mile run all seemed well and next day to work still good but same turning 15 miles on the way back the fuse has gone again. Next step is to replace the relay which is 10W 12V with 10W bulbs but handbook says that it should be 21W 12v relay and bulbs, not sure if it makes a difference, I suspect not.

4. Wudy

Wudy New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    Bristol
    #4 Wudy, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    The fact that it happens on a certain turning, and won't replicate when static makes me think its a loose connection/shorting somewhere? Could check along all wires/connections in that circuit. Just my .02

5. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Its obviously linked to the turning of the bike or the angle of the bike when cornering. Im thinking a lose connection somewhere or perhaps the wiring is chaffing somewhere when the handlebars are turned to a certain angle?

6. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I would also check the indicators, brake light and brake light switches for signs of any ingress of water, if its a break in a cable in the loom its more of a problem. A mate recently had the problem on his Honda and the stealership told him it was cheaper for them to replace the loom than trace the broken wire :eek:

7. SpeedM

SpeedM Member

Apr 30, 2013
    South Coast
    Cheers for the comments, just to add to my confusion the fuse went on a right hand turn going home a different route tonight but not banked over as the indicator switch activated whilst still upright. After the normal distance from work I stopped to check the brake light as I suspected the that a dodgy brake light switch may be to blame prior to indicating but all was ok. My latest theory is that it may be heat related as it only happens when the engine is hot after travelling 15 to 20 miles but what bit of the circuit is likely to be affected by this "heat" is not obvious to me, unless of course it is the relay which sits above the engine. I'm afraid that your comments about the break in a cable seem to be most likely but I cannot find anything obvious so it is beginning to look like a dealership job. I'm out tomorrow to buy more fuses and check connectors, bulbs and switches again before giving in and booking it into the main dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wudy

Wudy New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    Bristol
    Anything in the cooling circuit could be to blame if temp is a theory (thermostat, temp sensors, cooling fan). But this should be easily repeatable when stationary, which you say you cannot do so unsure on that one.

9. SpeedM

SpeedM Member

Apr 30, 2013
    South Coast
    Back on the Road!!!!!
    Yep 4 weeks with the main dealer and I have my bike back and hopefully fixed, they could not give me a definite cause of the problem but water ingress in one of the connectors into the ECU is the suspected cause. I have put in a few miles today (great weather for it too) and all functioning as it should, I think that they must have used my bike as a filler between other jobs to keep the price down as the bill was very reasonable although the time off the road wasn't. Have bought a new can of ACF50 today so will be busy applying some tomorrow after a very careful wash and brush up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Glad you got it all sorted.... Eventually! :smile: