Ecu Remap - Is It Worth It??

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dickie, Feb 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That’s how I understood it too Ade and that’s what I told the dealer. I’m pretty sure that they could have plugged it in and done the service as normal without disturbing the bike running the Hilltop map but I’ll speak to Geoff if I can and clarify for the sake of others who may be considering the Hilltop map but still need dealer servicing for warranty purposes. Me, I’m out of warranty and I only took it to the dealer this time to get one last stamp in the book before going the Tunecu route and doing it myself. I’m going to Belgium on it in three weeks time and just wanted that bit of piece of mind that it’s all been checked over beforehand.

• Like Like x 2
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can’t you copy the custom map and then let them override it to do what they need to and then load your custom map back in?

3. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Apparently not. I’ve just rechecked their website and they sell it not as a remap but completely new software written into unused space in the Ecu so that the dealer can’t see it and they can do what they want in the service dept and the bike will still run the Hilltop map.
    Seems like I made the mistake of telling them the bike had a custom fuel map and they didn’t want to run the risk of overwriting it and then having to pay up to put it back on. Hey ho, it’s not going to the dealer anymore anyway.

4. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Any update on this mate? Be interesting to know as mine is due for a service but want to get the HT map done too..thanks

5. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    lamb chops rides on you tube has just done a feature on Hilltop ,its worth a look

6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi, post #31 says it all. The dealer can’t see the work Hilltop do and when they plug the bike in to the computer to update the software it has no effect on the new “map”. Just don’t tell them it’s got a custom fuel map, they’ll be reluctant to plug it in for fear of screwing it up if you do.
    Have the service done first then remap if you are still unsure but the dealer can’t see the work so nothing they do will affect it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Watched that vid last night very interesting..will have to make a day of it i think

8. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    Hi I am slightly confused on choice of mapping to download for my speed triple 2012 r ::
    But confused as to which one to chose::
    Be great to get some knowledge :)
    Running very rough... basically dies at the lights and everywhere else i stop.. revs hunt sometimes up to 2 & back down to 1. But currently revs are so so low at half then cuts out..... no fun at lights.... got to keep the revs up....:::
    TWO OPTIONS BELOW FROM TUNEECU::
    Speed Triple 1050 R model / From VIN # 499001 to VIN # 735437 , ABS model / Keihin ECU :::
    20521Map.hex OEM md5checksum ABS Use with Arrow slip-on. Fuel up to E25. Minimum 95 RON (89 RON/MON) fuel.
    20522Map.hex OEM md5checksum ABS Use with Arrow slip-on. Fuel up to E25. Minimum 91 RON (87 RON/MON) fuel.

9. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    hi yes i just tried to delete my thread
    worked it out fuel
    but thanks for responding and to go 95 i would have gone 91
    cheers again for you help - awesome :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Agree that you should use the 95RON map, but doubt loading a new map (on its own) will solve your idle problem. Check your throttle balance while TuneECU is hooked up and run an Adaptive Reset, also check for any error codes. If the problem persists you'll need to investigate further - throttle position sensor/setup may be.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Had mine re mapped by Hilltop last week. Rode to Dorset to see my Dad yesterday, across the Wollops, wow, very noticeable so much usable torque, as said, further up the rev range, but it pulls like fecking train to the limiter. I love it, love it, love it, love it :yum:yum

• Like Like x 4
  12. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    -------------------
    thanks again but i have a bigger issue
    Bit of a mystery as to why then the tuneecu will not see my bike :(
    Get the red light flashing then error: ECU is not responding: Check cable connection: Turn ignition off and on.”
    1. deleted drivers and reloaded
    2. already tested on lovely daytona and worked a treat much older bike and been heavily modified
    3. my speed triple has already connected to an obd2 diagnostic code reader and works- all errors were fixed and now not errors are being reported
    :(
    frustrating as heck my speedy is constantly hunting on the throttle and then conking out at a stop..

4. i need to check current map which i am sure is not mapped for the arrows

13. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    jealous i is
    but i am happy to do this work myself - it is relatively straightforward ... just got a few issues to iron out before i can start getting stuck into the diagnostics

• Like Like x 1
  14. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Depends if you're using pc or Android (I've used both), but only recently when connecting via bluetooth and Android I've had to select "Other" rather than "Keihin" to get a connection. Don't know if that helps. (My Speed is a late 2015)

15. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    for those of you that posted your ecus what couriers would you recomend
    cheers

16. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I used Royal Mail tracked and signed for.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Me too.just under £8. Return postage is included in price at Hilltop

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    HI Thanks again for your reply, but my issue is
    • It reads the Daytona no probs, so i am sceptical the issue lies with the computer/sware.
    • I need to re-plug back in the obd2 diagnostic code reader & to see If my Speed triple can still communicate (I recently put bike into workshop for some work ... heck knows if they could have messed with the ecu - i did say running rough but they had no idea)
    ... then i have an answer... Will keep you posted..... :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking

20. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    ---------------------
    Okay tried different computer & no didnt work
    will be testing the obd2 reader tomorrow ... i am hoping in a way it doesnt read because if it does read i will be very much discombulated...

21. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Are you connecting via cable or bluetooth? In either case some members have had problems with Chinese clones not working properly, it seems TuneECU is quite sensitive to using correct equipment and also drivers installed on pc. Don't use drivers supplied on cd with cable, correct drivers can be downloaded from TuneECU website. Although I seem to remember not needing any and connected straight off on my Windows 10 laptop.

22. Jai

Jai New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    woking
    Hi and thanks for your help - i dont think its the hardware or software.. got tuneecu cable and software downloaded from website... unfortunately i am tending toward it being my bike... will see how it goes tomorrow when i try to connect to the obd2 diagnostic code reader :) fingers and toes crossed but getting cramp now so going to stop that now ...

• Like Like x 2