Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Ecu Remap - Is It Worth It??

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dickie, Feb 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Member

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    That is a great improvement like 30% more torque at low revs
    I bet if feels a lot better !
    I will have to wait for my warranty to end then will definitely consider this .

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Why wait, apparently the map is written into the Ecu in such a way that Triumph can’t see it. :p

3. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Member

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    Interesting - anyone put this to the test ?
    As I have the new RS engine and already had oil leaks on it I am half expecting some warranty action.....:confused:

4. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I will be doing next week, I’m booked in for service at my local dealer. Will leave a note under the seat to inform the spanner monkey not to meddle and ask if he noticed owt different.

5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Member

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    Ok will be interesting to see what the results are !

6. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    So went for the service today and when I picked the bike up I was told by the service manager that because the bike has a custom fuel map there was very little they could do with the bike. (I’d recently changed the oil and air filters etc so asked them just to do an annual service, check the coolant etc). Apparently if the bike hasn’t got the most recent system upgrade they can’t even complete an autoscan and to upgrade the system means overwriting the custom fuel map! They say they’ve had six or seven updates already this year! So I said as far as I was aware the fuel map from Hilltop was written in such a way that the dealer scan couldn’t see it but they were adamant that because the bike would ask for an update in order to allow the autoscan to complete it would overwrite the Hilltop map. (Apparently they have been caught out before with a custom fuel map but were able to rescue the situation by emailing the map supplier) Anyhow, I’ll talk to Hilltop and see what they make of it all and report back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    From (the little I know) the dealer is talking bollox regarding Hilltop as Geoff told me when I had my last GS done that he leaves the standard map untouched and his work isn't a remap as such but additional software that the dealer cannot see or access so they can update the ECU without touching Geoff's work. They are probably getting confused with standard remaps that overwrite the original map where what they say would be true.

I'll be interested to know what you find out

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That’s how I understood it too Ade and that’s what I told the dealer. I’m pretty sure that they could have plugged it in and done the service as normal without disturbing the bike running the Hilltop map but I’ll speak to Geoff if I can and clarify for the sake of others who may be considering the Hilltop map but still need dealer servicing for warranty purposes. Me, I’m out of warranty and I only took it to the dealer this time to get one last stamp in the book before going the Tunecu route and doing it myself. I’m going to Belgium on it in three weeks time and just wanted that bit of piece of mind that it’s all been checked over beforehand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. andyc1

andyc1 #2121313
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Let us know, thats what I thought too! Ive a recall ecu flash for the stalling problem (which I don't have the problem) and a hilltop remap

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Can’t you copy the custom map and then let them override it to do what they need to and then load your custom map back in?

11. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Apparently not. I’ve just rechecked their website and they sell it not as a remap but completely new software written into unused space in the Ecu so that the dealer can’t see it and they can do what they want in the service dept and the bike will still run the Hilltop map.
    Seems like I made the mistake of telling them the bike had a custom fuel map and they didn’t want to run the risk of overwriting it and then having to pay up to put it back on. Hey ho, it’s not going to the dealer anymore anyway.

12. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    Hilltop is not a remap as such Steve, they leave the original map in place but put software in that monitors the sensors etc that somehow overrides the original map. it's all very cleaver stuff which is why I don't understand how it works in detail.....

• Useful Useful x 1