Earthquakes Suck!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Terry S, Aug 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    I live a few miles from the summit caldera of Kilauea volcano, on the Big Island. Kilauea began erupting in early May, and the eruption is ongoing. The summit caldera is collapsing; every 20-40 hours we experience a 5.3 magnitude earthquake as the floor of the caldera drops several feet. The collapse is making the section of highway 11 nearest the caldera -- highway 11 is the only route around the island -- deteriorate. Every day or two the county road people are out fixing new damage.
    I try to check the road every few days. Last Tuesday I strapped on the GoPro for my road check. A link to the video:

The interesting stuff starts at about the 8 minute mark. The center of the caldera is about two miles away to the left. The colored lines you see on the highway were made by the road crew. They mark new cracks and depressions in the road surface. In the early part of the video I pass by electrical lineman who are in Volcano Village, fixing or replacing power poles and lines damaged by the constant earthquakes.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Doesn't it bother you living so close to a live volcano?:scream:

3. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    A 5.3 magnitude quake is supposed to be the equvalent of a 1.3 kt explosion, so, yes, having one occurr every 30-40 hours 4 miles away is a bit more than a mild irritant.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    So smilinjacks wife can be a bit more than a mild irritant:grinning:. He will be pleased :p