Dunlop Roadsmart 4 Sp

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Mrs Visor, May 23, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I have just had a set of Dunlop Roadsmart IV SP fitted to my Street Triple. I went for the SP version (same price as the others) as it is for lighter, sportier bikes.

I have only ridden 3 miles (!!) back from the shop on them this evening, so can't leave any sort of review as yet, but first impressions are very favourable compared to my worn old set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso III as you'd expect!

PXL_20230523_170256354.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Good feeling having new tyres :grinning:
    Don't forget to take it steady for a while! I know a few very experienced riders who have fallen foul of new tyres :weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Thank you, appreciate the reminder :). I will be careful; I'll have a steady commute tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Definitely, I give mine at least 100 miles and even then gently, gently on reducing the chicken strips.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I have ridden in a bit of rain with these since I have had them fitted, but today rode in a real downpour and have to say they did feel very reassuring - more so than the Pirellis I had previously.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That's as much as you can ask for Mrs V and probably the most important factor in tyre choice IMO. Once you've lost confidence in a tyre it casts a shadow over every ride, especially in the wet.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Everytime I picked a new bike up from Carnells in Doncaster the sales guy always emphasised the need to carefully scrub in the tyres. Apparently he'd seen a few new owners ride off and come to grief within sight of the showroom!!:eek: What a nightmare!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    One of the instructors I had for my Mod 2 said he'd taken one of the school bikes for new tyres as he always did at the place they always use. That day it was raining, he gave it a bit too much just as he left on the new tyres and came off right outside...he said it was mortifying o_O.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I understand every person has different views on new tyres so thought this article may help dispel some myths, I currently only run Metzler RRs or Supercorsa, as most know these do need heat to work best, I only have to ride sensibly for a few miles then build up lean angles, after around 15 miles they are good to go for spirited rides.
    How to scrub in new motorcycle tyres | How many mile to break them in (bennetts.co.uk)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    This one always sticks in my head

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Great article, @Iceman. Thanks!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Like some of the comments on this video sad, this is sad. So excited for a new bike and then....down he goes. :sob: And it didn't even seem like he was riding in a way that he'd go down like that. That'll stick in my head, too, @andyc1...every time I get a new set of tires.

13. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    It is pretty sickening, really feel bad for the rider. I reckon modern bikes with traction control may have saved it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Interesting article - thanks :cool:

15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #15 Pegscraper, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    The bike you're riding plays a big part in new tyre caution IMO. On a low powered machine like a Bonneville twin, excessive use of the throttle isn't quite the same as on a machine with over 3 times the power and torque which is why I'm much more wary of new boots on the ZZR. In fact, the worse case scenario for me is new rubber on the Husaberg, especially when the first ride is a wet one. Aggressive knobblies on tarmac is never a good mix, even without the "new" aspect. Getting to the first off road section or green lane on new tyres is always a huge relief!:joy:.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    It doesn't get much worse than that!:sob: The "newest" bike I ever dropped was my Z1300 at just over 5 months old when some miopic idiot rammed me up the a*se at a roundabout in town and that was bad enough! Binning your brand new Superbike outside the showroom with no one but your self to blame!:broken_heart::broken_heart:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    And to add insult to injury, someone goes and sticks it on youtube :sob:

• Agree Agree x 1