Drive Chain Material

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mr Knight, Feb 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr Knight

Mr Knight New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Wales
    Good Evening all!

I'm currently a second year Mechanical Engineering student and I've been tasked with a research assignment based around Design & Technology with respect to manufacturing processes and I am hoping somebody with experience/knowledge in the matter can help.

I have chosen a motorbike drivetrain chain (roller chain) due to it being a component with multiple parts and my lecturer has approved this. I have a good understanding the the applied theory of them in service (tension, torque loads etc) however I'm hitting somewhat of a dead end with respect to the actual material the chain is constructed from. I've reached out to multiple manufacturers but understandably have been given the generic response of "we can't tell you due to confidentiality and conflict of interest".........fantastic. The only different response I've received so far was from a supplier who although stated they couldn't give clear details on the material specification, they did say that the links are double alloyed steel and the roller pins are triple alloyed steel.

Given that this only narrows the search down slightly, I'm trying to deduce what the alloys in the various steel components are (not looking for bang on percentages). I'm leaning towards possibilities of vanadium due to the steel requiring strong resistance to wear and corrosion resistance but I'm also thinking chromium and/or nickel.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Absolutely no idea. Good luck in finding out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Stumped!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    You've really confused lots now. Many call aluminium "alloy". So saying steal alloy they must now think chains are made from aluminium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Many moons ago in the late seventies I went to work at the local steelworks and on day release went to college once a week. I did a basic course in steel making and IIRC one phrase we had to learn by rote was “steel is an alloy of iron, iron and carbon, plus trace elements not exceeding 1%” Those trace elements included chromium, tungsten, molybdenum, vanadium etc. These made up the steel in varying percentages depending on what the steel was to used for. Good luck with the research Mr Knight, have you tried to contact actual steel manufacturers (what few are left) they may be able to help given that you aren’t actually wanting to “steal” (geddit!) their ideas and go into production yourself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. WhoMe

WhoMe Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Alberta
    Google helps a little bit
    http://tsubaki.ca/pdf/library/the_Complete_guide_to_chain.pdf

If you have a materials lab where you are and some spare parts, you could get the lab to do some analysis for you. These are typically not all that precise, but can give the ballpark so you can figure out what spec steel you are dealing with. Many parts are case hardened, so the surface carbon content will be higher than the underlying material.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Ally not alloy.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    I don’t think he wants to steal the alloy. Perhaps you meant steel. Nobody calls aluminium alloy, some call it ally though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Reminder to self. Must find a giff of someone shaking their head with dismay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    Chain links require a high tensile strength so whatever elements gives that quality are used. Some chains are shot peened, also. Unlike the link plates, the rollers, bushings and pins need to be wear resistant because they wear against each other or the sprockets so they might use a harder alloy. Good front sprockets are usually hardened chromoly steel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Why do they call them alloy wheels?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Because they are made of an alloy of various metals. I really hope you were asking a rhetorical question and knew that. If not there really is no hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Diamond cut wheels is referring to the treatment of the outer surface of the hub, spokes and rim. As if they had been “faced” in a lathe. See below.

8F148559-CD22-42CD-BB6F-77D361C885F9.jpeg

They can be a PITA if you don’t take care when parking.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Old thread. The OP hasn't been in here for 3 years and thread is over 4 yrs old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    Because iron alloy wheels are called steel but aluminum alloys don't have specific names.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Does this really matter? The thread has been high jacked anyway from drive chains to car wheels. :joy::joy::joy: But not as bad as a thread on another forum I visit that went from “how do you deal with punctures on spoked wheels when off road” to “how to shoot grizzlies with a hand gun”:scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    It doesn’t really matter how old this thread is. There are still people that don’t know the difference between alloy and ally. Or between steal and steel. I quite like reading old threads when I don’t know things discussed in them. We all like to learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #20 t552, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Yes ofcourse its a piss take. Was aircraft engineer for 45 years. When doing my apprenticeship if i called aluminium 'alloy' id have got a clip around the ear. Stainles steel is an alloy son, dont you say that again. Ally is ok though' and. Son its turned on a lathe, no diamonds was anywhere near it. Only for dressing grinding wheels. (And some other functions).