Touring Down to the South of France & on to Monaco?

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Tom8336, Mar 29, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Cheers both. Yes I was thinking of the SW coast rather than Atlantic. It's amazing really but I can find only really limited info on the internet about doing this route by motorbike, bar, camping options etc, but it must have been done by thousands over the years!

Also I've seen that both the N75 & 85 rise in altitude. I'm going to be heading South over the 9th/ 10th May. I'm assuming that there isn't snow etc still about by then is there?

Good to hear that the bars are all friendly Dave. Walk into some pubs in London still and you can get funny looks if you're in your riding gear. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Pub went quiet! I only wanted an orange juice and a p*ss!

2. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Millau viaduct last year

[​IMG]

From the rest area north of the viaduct

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Great pics Tom !!!!

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Beware the altitude thing!! We were in the Auvergne a few years ago, and pottered off into the countryside for the day, from our rented gite. It was lovely and warm when we set off :cool:, but after a while we were both feeling quite chilly. I then started noticing the 'mile' posts (not miles, obviously!!) which show both distance AND altitude. We were up to around 5,000ft (1,500+mtrs), so it was no surprise that it was getting cold - but we hadn't really noticed that we were gaining altitude! Big country, big vistas, confused perspective!! :eek:

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On the Col de L'iséran - Val d'Isère - the ROAD is at 2750 mtrs ( 9,075 feet)!!! With mountains all around - just magic.

6. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    We did Mont Ventoux one year in June. 25C in the town at the bottom, 11C at the top......

7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    France June 2013 026.JPG

We enjoyed Millau as well though we did end up with a 297 euro bar bill

Sorry about the size of the photo

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    WHAT !!!!!!! How many people?

9. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Well! there was 8 of us and we all had food as well.
    Started as a quick lunchtime beer and you know how it goes,warm afternoon,sat by the main square people watching and the next thing you know it's 8 o'clock in the evening :D

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That sounds bordering on the reasonable depending on how much hootch you had?

11. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    And what you ate....

I think if I'd been drinking all afternoon I'd have probably been asleep by 8 (I trust it wasn't a long walk back to the hotel?) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Hi Dave

I'm heading down to Moto Breaks on the first night as they're having a party there. Are you local and fancy a beer?

Second day I'm heading down to Collioure. Just wondering what the best route down South is. The route down the A75 over Millau or the more Westerly route down via Toulouse? Thought you might have some experience of the region?

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tom, good to hear you are planning a France tour. "Moto Breaks"? Don't know where that is, but if you look us up on Google Maps - 23350 La Cellette you'll know where we are.

Re going further south, the Millau bridge is a real "Must See" whichever route you take. I don't do autoroutes ever on my bike, it's just too boring. I always search out the N or D roads.

[​IMG]

There are "route nationale" that follow the same general direction as the A75 and parts of that are just biker heaven. Drop down from Clermont Ferrand via Issoire, Saint Flour, Marvejols and Sévérac le Chateau.

South of Millau you find find the Gorges du Tarn which is MAGNIFICENT riding territory.

That last section of the A75 - Lodève and Perpignan - is actually pretty good even for an autoroute.

• Like Like x 1
  14. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    As has already been said the Millau viaduct is definitely worth a trip. The A75 isn't that bad as a motorway and afaik it's still free south of Clermont. The western route is not as direct as the route south via Clermont and given you've a limited amount of time perhaps the most direct route is better.

Collioure is a pleasant little town, easy on the eye but a day is all you need to see most of the "sights". A lovely area around there though and Spain is short trip (not that there's a lot just over the border but the Dali museum at Figueres is worth a visit if you like that sort of thing).

15. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    Cheers. Yes I'm just intending to probably just hit the beach and a bar for the day really and then head East up the coast after that. I'd like to visit some of the Roman sites in Arles & Nimes. Any view on which town is better to stay at for the night?

16. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Sounds good! I can't help with Arles or Nimes I'm afraid :( Maybe Dave can help out on that.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not me mate, I know nowt about Arles or Nimes.

18. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    The place I'm staying at on the first night isn't that far from you Dave. Have a look on the Google machine. Moto Breaks. It's near Limoges.

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes mate, I've just found it, it's about 115kms from me, give me a date when you'll be there and I'll see what I can do.

20. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    I'll be heading there on the 9th