Featured Don’t You Just Hate Salt!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Mark9, Dec 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Never heard of it.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Fs365 @littleade, seriously! Never heard of it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  5. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    well I do have a high mile nt 700 Deauville ,thankfully we dont have to salt the roads here so she should keep going for years to come

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    By the time the county gets around to salting the road, riding season is long gone. This is my drive in to work today in dense fog and frozen rain/snow of last night. I would need a Tiger with spiked tires to get by. Hmmm.. maybe an idea?

IMG_8281.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. winrow3745

winrow3745 Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Cheshire
    When I was young, I used to ride an original Fazer to work in all but the worst of Winter conditions. One year, I put it away under cover, after cleaning it, what I considered enough. But when I checked it around a month later it'd furred up to death.
    I was seriously annoyed both with myself and the blinking salt!
    Horrible stuff.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Oh that look like a nice bit of green lane. Where is it? That looks like the hangers above Wroughton in the background

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ian Street

Ian Street New Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Crawley
    I use acf50 on all the bikes it is used on aircraft engines etc clean dry bike spray on preferably with compressor whole bike leave on over winter just water to clean and the bike will b protectect it works

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Been riding mine in the salt and it looks like a pile of shit now.
    I'm not even convinced that the salt actually does much anyway, where l live they have salted the main roads which are now a black wet mess because the salt absorbs moisture....whereas the untreated side roads are nice clean and dry!
    Oh well better get the house out now!

11. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    For the occasional winter rider who washes their bike after every ride it's ideal as it only takes a few minutes to apply once you've cleaned and dried the bike and your bike doesn't attract all the shoite like ACF 50 does and it is cheaper too.

Agree on the ACF50, can't stand the stuff. I think the FS365 also encourages you to spray on the bike after it is rinsed but before you dry as it is water soluble and it mixes and gets in all the nooks & crannies. Once you dry off it gets left behind.

12. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Everyone comes to their own approach, here's mine for what it's worth.

I ceramic polished as much of the painted and plastic as I could on my Street Twin at the end of summer. Use a compressor to give a puff of ACF 50 under the seat, inside side panels, inside headlight and under the tank, the compressor is the only way to get a fine mist in my experience. I agree that it attracts muck, but it does well in tests and can be used on electrics, so I use it in the tucked away places. The underside, brake calipers and hubs are Tetroseal Wax Oil because it can take a hammering and doesn't look like a mess in those places. I also have used silicone grease on any connections I have mucked about with.

Quick hose off and blow dry after a ride on wet salt is all I can be bothered with, plus I don't want to remove the protection every time I ride.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cameron McMullen

Cameron McMullen New Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Nn116dl
    Good advice from everyone. Been hey washing with cold and then a warm wash followed by another cold rinse off. I'm now thinking I need to look at the exhausts a little closer for evidence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Had no clue you guys use roadsalt in the UK, it has always been one of the things I've mentioned as a blessing when living in London.
    Oh, and that the roads were empty as soon as the snow falls, meant getting to work took 1/3 of the time :-D

• Like Like x 1