Do You Think Youtubers Give Us A Bad Name?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tricky-Dicky, Jan 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #1 Tricky-Dicky, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    I watch a lot of YouTube and see lots of bikers there who post their encounters with other vehicles, some of which are valid but quite a lot depict themselves as over reactive and just plain stupid, there are so many that blame cars for a problem they have created because they are also braking road rules, it seems to me that some just seem to want to create conflict and break motorists mirrors...now admittedly some do deserve it due to either deliberate disregard to bikes/other road users and some
    through just being idiots but its does seem to me that you average motorist watching these videos would just develop a view of us that would promote us as vandals with the resulting resentment and aggression.
    Then there are the ones that seem to have little clue as to how to actually ride a motorcycle...mostly in the US (no offense to the US guys) but i have observed so many that don't seem to have a clue as to how to use there brakes and consequently fall off or hit something because they grab a handful of front brake and wonder why they bike tucks up on them and spits them down the road, and the ones that just cant seem to grasp cornering...is it just me or does anyone else think the same?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Over the years I’ve seen quite a lot of on bike filming and it appears to me that once the camera is switched on some riders then switch theirs brains off.

A couple of guys I know from a couple of 2stroke club/forums would post their latest exploits on YouTube and then on the clubs forum section that was open to the public.
    They would regularly ride through villages at twice the speed limit and when they received speeding tickets they called the police all the names under the sun, it was never their fault :mad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    You know Jez you don’t look like the type of person that would act like that.

upload_2019-1-1_20-13-21.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    COOL,,, I think the car driver would be quaking :eek:;):)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    LOL! me too and used to do the same when i was younger and hot headed...but I'm an old man now so not sure i would get away with it unscathed...but the thought is still there.....;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Like you i am Mr reasonable most of the time but my trouble is i still have a nasty temper if you wind me up enough...trying to kill me with a ton of vehicle usually does it... age has done a little tempering but i have to stop and think these days...i think the wife is worried that i am still likely to leave doors caved in but you never know just who or how mental the person
    your dealing with these days so i tend to think of her.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I occasionally watch the accidents compilations, not from morbidity so much as an exercise in 'how did they get into that situation' and 'what would I have done'.

The thing that stands out to me more than anything else in those, is that more often than not there are all kinds of things they could have done differently. One example that comes to mind is the people out there (and it does seem to be more an American thing) that think by pulling in the clutch and revving the shit out of the bike, the clueless cager is going to somehow develop the awareness they were lacking a second earlier.

A common theme is people riding beyond their ability, not reading the road ahead and coming off due to bad choices approaching a corner, and filtering too fast through traffic instead of treating every other vehicle on the road as if they are trying to kill you!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Always wondered if you can be prosecuted on your own helmet cam evidence? with that in mind I have never wanted one just in case.
    Most of the guys that post videos of themselves going banzai in the most stupid places or doing stunts are wannabees, but if you're riding like a twat and someone pulls out on you then you have to accept your share of the blame.

I used to ride in quite large groups, and when you got to where you were going, the guys who where telling everyone about this idiot or that having pulled out on them or carved them up, always seemed to be the most clueless riders.
    Whilst I know drivers do the daftest things with little or no warning there is also a huge element of making your own luck when on a motorcycle.

But going back to the original question by @Tricky-Dicky , yes it does portray Motorcyclists in a poor light when the non riding public see these clips on Youtube.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    lots of idiots on youtube,i suppose if someone is not into bikes they are not going to search for bike videos?,so they won't see a lot of the crazy clips

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I think you can be prosecuted with your own helmet cam, I've noticed certain guys who make youtube videos have the speedos blurred occasionally, when I use mine I make sure my sat nav or it's bracket hides the speedo,although saying that when I have my camera running I tend to be more aware of my speed as I know when I stick it on youtube it's going to look faster than it actually is

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I always figured that being incriminated by your own film evidence would be more than a little embarrassing!
    I tend to ride within the speed limits in built up areas but not so much when I see the National Speed limit signs so wouldn't want a camera rolling then, also used to enjoy a wheelie or two, then stopped doing them when I heard police were treating it as a straight Dangerous Driving offence.
    I am planning on fitting a cheap camera to the race bike next season, more so I can see where I am going wrong than anything else though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    So there we have it, no camera going on any road bike I ride then.
    The footage in the first clip clearly shows the rider ran out of talent or got target fixation - looked at where he didn't want to go rather than where he was going, or I am sure he'd have got round, his mate certainly did!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yep I agree Ron, a lot of very straight roads over there, I remember asking at a bike shop in California if they sold knee sliders, the answer was 'what for' :laughing:
    There must be some nice twisties to have fun on though Ron?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #11 Dougie D, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    makes you wonder about the mentality of those guys posting it on youtube in the first place :confused: they deserve to get done

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Fubie

Fubie New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Raleigh NC

17. Dale

Dale Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Cincinnati
    Yes, of course they do.
    A couple points if you please;
    There are wonderful roads throughout the US but the best riding in the US are the Appalachian Mts. 800x300 miles of interconnected roads through valleys, over mtns (low by some standsrds but still mtns) along rivers & streams. Don't take my word for it, Butler maps said it when releasing their So Appalachians map. The Blue Ridge Pkwy for example. 45 mph BUT 469 miles along the crest of the blue ridge mtns with no driveways, no commercial vehicals or signs. Only tight, squigly access roads up to it every so often.
    As far as US riders are concerned it's a combination of the natural independent mindset of a true m/clist and the original fundamental American mindset (which is changing due to the feminen castraty affect) of the individualistic self sustained survivalist acquiring his or her space & "don't threaten/invade it."
    As far as women rights are concerned, their moms & aunts fought hard for their right to be equal & altho I appreciate them & have been blessed by & loved one dearly for 35 yrs,I treat'em equal.

18. Dale

Dale Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Cincinnati
    Yes, of course they do.
    A couple points if you please;
    There are wonderful roads throughout the US but the best riding in the US are the Appalachian Mts. 800x300 miles of interconnected roads through valleys, over mtns (low by some standsrds but still mtns) along rivers & streams. Don't take my word for it, Butler maps said it when releasing their So Appalachians map. The Blue Ridge Pkwy for example. 45 mph BUT 469 miles along the crest of the blue ridge mtns with no driveways, no commercial vehicals or signs. Only tight, squigly access roads up to it every so often.
    As far as US riders are concerned it's a combination of the natural independent mindset of a true m/clist and the original fundamental American mindset (which is changing due to the feminen castraty affect) of the individualistic self sustained survivalist acquiring his or her space & "don't threaten/invade it."
    As far as women rights are concerned, their moms & aunts fought hard for their right to be equal & altho I appreciate them & have been blessed by & loved one dearly for 35 yrs,I treat'em equal.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fubie

Fubie New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Raleigh NC
    As a Tru Murican, my 2 cents worth (whatever that converts to): Don't know if it's the mindset or the cruiser style of riding, but I see lots of guys doing the same thing ride after ride. They may say they've been riding 10 years, but they've really been riding 1 year 10 times. I've only been riding 4 years total, but I try to learn, watch, and practice something almost every ride. This doesn't apply to all, but when you go straight and constant all the time it's easy to do.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dale

Dale Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Cincinnati
    Knew a couple hadn't ridden in 25 yrs were talked into a HD. Saw them 4-5 weeks later @ TWO ( two wheels only) of Suches, Ga. wearing what I call the costume.
    Both had HD style leathers, dew rags & 1/2 helmets with stickers all over them lying on the ground next to the bike in mock disdain of helmet laws.
    I struggled helping them feel like motorcyclists but pulled it off.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    There was a case up here a couple of winters back, greengrocers van and hgv. On the A9, near Invergordon. The van had the camera.

Its a right angle junction, you can see the hgv coming up to the junction as the van gets closer. Hgv doesn't stop, van has to do avoiding manoeuvre, slams the brakes on, and all the snow on its roof slides down the screen.

The guy posts the video online and puts in a complaint to the local constabulary. Shows them the video, and promptly gets done for driving his van in an unsafe condition, ie, obscuring the screen with the snow left on the roof.

Hgv got pulled too, right enough. Thing is, nobody hurt, no damage done, and but for the vandriver and his camera, nobody would have got a fine.

• Informative Informative x 1