Do You Run Velocity Stacks?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by billyrideslow, Feb 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its all about air speed and atomization...the faster the air speed entering the engine the better the fuel will atomize from the jet, so better dispersion of the fuel before it enters the cylinder, that's why improving the inlet and exhaust tracts is know as gas flowing and tested by air flow.

The fuel air mix actually swirls as it enters the cylinder, but like all engine the more of and the faster and the better atomized you can get the mixture into the engine the more power you will get out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. billyrideslow

billyrideslow Member

Nov 20, 2018
    san diego
    #22 billyrideslow, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    straighten fuel mixture, yeap, laminar flow.

Warning I'm a CAD junkie:
    screenshot_1037.png
    I designed my own velocity stacks.

So the theory behind my stacks deals totally with an expansion ratio. Osbourne Reynolds told us how to change the cross sectional area for fluid flow without inducing turbulence. So a proper velocity stack not only straightens the air but also compresses the air. At the correct ratio, you get an incredibly efficient pump which is increasing the flow rate and delivering more oxygen into the cylinder.

screenshot_1038.png

I have the carburetor diameter and the length (it needs to fit) as parameters in my design.

I break the design into to 2 pieces:
    -the venturi which is compressing the air
    -the scavenger which is gathering air at the intake

Both are very subtle and I believe can add to your performance if done properly. The trick is not to produce turbulence.

Here's a link to my 1st run up my poor man's dyno:

In the video I'm shifting into 5th which is a first while climbing this hill. This is totally due to the stacks. I could do a ton up this hill if I were man enough.

• Like Like x 3