Diy Vs Dealer Installed Accessories

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DeepBlue, Jun 28, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

Jun 28, 2022
    US
    Other than the Shift Assist, are there any accessories which require dealer installation? TPMS, My Triumph interface, maybe? This will be my first bike, a TS660. Not a DIYer yet but have garage access and mechanics as resources.

Any ways of getting around paying full MSRP for accessories?

2. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Surrey BC Canada
    Personally, everything OEM can be installed by yourself providing Triumph has given a spot for you to add stuff to...their instructions are actually quite good.

That being said, I typically leave anything electronic to the dealer IF it doesn't brake my bank...such as heated grip...I gone aftermarket.

As for not paying full MSRP for accessories, it really depends on the dealer, but normally OEM stuff doesn't have too large of margin FOR DEALER.

3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

Jun 28, 2022
    US
    That's good to know, thanks. I did see something on Youtube about the dealership needing to program the Quick Shifter though. I'd looked at frame sliders on Revzilla where equivalents are $110 vs. $180 at the dealer and assumed the others are at similar premiums.

4. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Surrey BC Canada
    ya, that is why I tend to leave electronic to the dealer as something does require activation thru their program....but if I am adding like an additional USB port or something, then that is on me.

but other than that, MOST of other OEM accessories are quite straight forward.

Now if you are comparing cost between aftermarket parts vs OEM, OEM WILL be more money, but they are also guarantee to fit if instructions are followed. (at least according to their disclaimer anyway).

Aftermarket tends to be MOSTLY good, but sometimes you might just get that one bike that has it's mounting point SLIGHTLY off...you never know

5. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

Jun 28, 2022
    US
    Points taken, thanks. I'm in a bit of reactive mode as a dealer just quoted a $4k premium for the $1250 worth accessories to be installed.

6. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Surrey BC Canada
    4K including the 1250? and how many hours for how many parts are they quoting?

7. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

Jun 28, 2022
    US
    It wasn't broken down. Put me right off to other dealers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  9. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

Jun 28, 2022
    US
    #9 DeepBlue, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  10. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    In my experiences the Triumph accessories are easy enough to fit. Fairly well designed and installing is a logical process as long as you've got the correct tools.
    Exceptions being the electronic stuff like Quickshifter etc
    I can't find it at the moment but the accessory installation guides are all online somewhere if you need a bit of guidance. Maybe someone on here knows the link?

11. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    https://www.triumphinstructions.com/

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
  13. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    What machine do you have? Evotech and Powerbronze are a couple of aftermarket firms I would recommend having a look at.

As others have said, most of the addons are easy enough to DIY fit.

14. ChessNibbler

ChessNibbler Member

May 29, 2022
    Orange County, NY
    This is a useful thread, thanks @DeepBlue

As for buying accessories from dealer or not, I prefer to support my local Triumph dealer. I want them to stay in business. So what I do is research on the internet, get pricing and sourcing info, then go to them and say "I want to buy such and what" and let them say "no way" or "Sure". I allow them some upward pricing because I want to support, but so far they've been eager to match. Don't forget to include shipping, tax, and install if applicable. I try to do all installations myself but have not tried anything involving firmware.

Thanks for the good thread.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Exactly. My local Triumph dealer is easy to be supportive of. But even if they were only average I’d make it a point to drop by now and then, learn everybody’s names, and buy some stuff.

Spending a couple of hundred dollars on installation is an investment by me as an enthusiast in the health of a business community that I value.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Member

Jun 28, 2022
    US
    #16 DeepBlue, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Generally speaking, I agree with supporting the local dealers, within reason, but in my specific case all the dealers are more than an hour away, so there isn't really one. Worse, each is the only one in its respective metropolitan area, a market position which can lead to abuse, so I'm treading carefully. Moreover, I want to involve myself in maintenance and mods to truly familiarize myself with the new bike instead of being overly dependent. It's always better to have options.

I must say I'm impressed with Triumph so far. My eye has always been on a certain advanced bike for which I need a training wheels bike for a couple of years; the TS660 is the only beginner bike that I'm excited about at all.