Diy Tyre Change

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by bob1, Apr 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    25 quid a wheel at my local tyre place so add 50 to the online price it’s not worth it

2. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

I am running tubes on spokes on the bonnie so breaking the bead is not such an issue and back in the day I would stand on them, but also seen various ways online if there is a problem with that aspect.

I just ordered some wheel weights to balance them myself, should not be a problem as I was originally an engineer so in theory it is doable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    £15 a wheel at my local car place, but not sure if they can do tubed wheels, tubeless yes as I have used them, but they also don't have anyone who can balance m/cycle wheels anymore.

4. hkb1050

hkb1050 New Member

Nov 1, 2019
    North Lanarkshire
    #24 hkb1050, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    I've been fitting my own and some of my mates tyres for the last 10 years using the cable tie method and I find it quite easy to do, some tyres are easier than others to remove and fit, Michelin's are by far the easiest and Bridgestone's probably the hardest, you'll need a bead breaker, some 26" cable ties 9mm width, wheel weights and a wheel balancer and get an old spray bottle and mix 30% of fairy liquid and 70% water and spray around the rim, this helps when breaking the bead, I use 5 cable ties evenly spaced around the tyre, the trick is to make sure the tyre beads meet close together and the shape of the tyre is the same all the way round as you tighten them, using the spray really helps with removal and fitting, you can seal the beads using a electric tyre air compressor from your car or better still a 2.5 hp air compressor will make it much faster, Below is similar to what I use, hope this helps, any questions just give me a shout. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mechanic...245718?hash=item20e57ecc16:g:VdwAAOSw5k1ct1Ox

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tech-7-M...226709?hash=item592d7c8d55:g:1mcAAOSwW95dCy1~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nylon-Pl...604675?hash=item3fc9cd2603:g:w6gAAOSwA~ddVl0j

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adh...132113?hash=item23c87787d1:g:MdwAAOSw~ntdg1ws

• Like Like x 2
  5. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

Thanks for the response. I do not know the cable tie method, shall have to look at it as yestetday I could not break the bead, they are bridgestones...

6. hkb1050

hkb1050 New Member

Nov 1, 2019
    North Lanarkshire
    Bridgestone tyres have a stiff side wall hence the reason they are more difficult to change,

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

had just found this vid, thanks

also looked at this one, really makes it look easy

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I do most things myself on my bikes. but I draw the line at tyres as I cannot be bothered (read good enough to do it with tubed tyres LOL) I have nipped more tubes than I would like. :):)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I get through a few tyres at racing, I buy off the internet when good deals are on & get them fitted to loose wheels by the tyre service guys at the track, they charge £7.50 per wheel including balance which I don't think is bad.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

Bargain, the cheapest I have seen is £15 a wheel.

11. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

Bargain, the cheapest I have seen is £15 a wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I guess they are fair on price in the interests of keeping racing costs down, it is only clubman racing & very few can actually afford it in the first place!

• Like Like x 2
  13. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    Hi I changed my own with the aid of a Sealy manual tyre changer/bead breaker when I was racing. It paid for it's self in no time. Some tyres are easier than others as stated above. Bridgestones are the hardest I've done. Top tip make sure your old and new tyres are warm, bring wheels in the house for a few hours. Use proper tyre soap and don't rush.
    Good luck to anyone who has a go.

• Like Like x 2
  14. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I tried and failed to break the bead, so gave in and took the wheels to a car tyre place yesterday, they did them but once I was back home and got around to fitting them back on the bike, about 4 hours later, the rear had gone flat.

They of course said it must have been like that when I took it there. The thing was I had let the air out of the rear when I was pratting with it and I might have nipped the tube...either way I have no leg to stand on.

Anyway finished work early today so dropped the back wheel off again and tried the two bits of wood and the car method (see vdieo I posted above) and popped the bead off both sides almost straight away so I am just waiting for heavy duty large cable ties and a new tube to arrive from ebay and I will attempt the cable tie method, sounds like some weird kinky sex act...o_O

Tune in soon for the next thrilling installment of Jerry does his tyres!:p

• Like Like x 1
  15. hkb1050

hkb1050 New Member

Nov 1, 2019
    North Lanarkshire
    #35 hkb1050, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    I don't think the cable tie method will work on tubed tyres Jerry as both sides of the tyre go on the rim simultaneously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I used it to get the flat tyre off but could not get it and the new tube back on, so off to the tyre fitters, the ones I usually use, job done

IMG_20191109_065626.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I change the tubed tyres on the dirt bike myself but have them changed by a tyre shop on the road bike, usually a local National Tyres depot which does very good prices on tyres anyway. Even taking into account the 4mm tube and the bead clamps, he difference between fitting a high profile, relatively pliable off road knobbly and a low profile, tubeless road tyre with very little give in the sidewalls, is night and day, not to mention the risk of damaging the bead and finish on the tubeless rim.