Featured Distinguished Gentlemans Ride 2018

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Repooh, Aug 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just go with Tweed! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Registered for the Doncaster ride. :)

3. Valkman

Valkman Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Kings Lynn
    I'm in for the Bury St Edmunds ride. Last years was brilliant!

4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ll probably look more extinguished than distinguished and well out of place on the speedie but we can’t all own/rent an old bike/outfit but whatever, it’s the taking part and fund raising that’s the important bit right?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    All my outfits have come from eBay or a charity shop. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    So we have one in Amsterdam on the 30th september. Do I onderstand correctly that my model of bike (2005 speed triple) is not welcome? Seeing as it's for charity I would think that odd.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    So we have one in Amsterdam on the 30th september. Do I understand correctly that my model of bike (2005 speed triple) is not welcome? Seeing as it's for charity I would think that odd.

8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    @Dave Caddy what do you disagree with? Rules for bikes or that I think it's odd ?

9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Cheers, I think I'll do just that!

• Like Like x 2
  10. SBM

SBM New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Northamptonshire UK
    Sadly, that devalues the event. The regs for the event are clear on the website

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I believe the idea came from an image of actor Jon Hamm in the series Mad Men, wearing a suit and sat on an Ariel bike. That's what it is and that's the point, smart dressed people on a certain style of bike.

If it was full of BMW GS 1200s with riders in full Twat suits for example, then it wouldn't be the DGR. :cool:

12. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    If that’s the case I probably won’t bother, the sponsor money is safe whether I ride or not.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    unless my bike shop owning pal has summat old in the back that will run long enough to get me round:rolleyes:

14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think you're missing the point - (but I do accept that there are some hipsters who take it a little too seriously) - it's not about excluding people, its about being different enough to attract attention. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of charity bike rides organised world wide and whilst they must all be applauded for their effort, they probably make little money and attract even less attention.

If you want to stand out from the crowd you need to grab peoples attention (I refuse to use the term USP but there you go). By doing that and establishing a brand, if you like then you will attract big sponsors, media attention and celebrities - then you start to earn big money - it's how charities survive and get into the big league. ( you can tell the missus works in marketing and has worked for charities!)

So, that is what the DGR set out to become and it has succeeded over the last 6 years in becoming a globally recognised event. If any style of bike were allowed and people turned up in full race leathers, no matter how much they are prepared to donate, then it dilutes the brand and the image and it becomes "just another charity run". :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'll just go and wax my moustache and adjust my "manbun" in that case! :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Stick on man bun

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Steve, I think you summed the DGR up well, it's designed to stand out and to do so it needs a theme. Without such it would not be so popular globally and in-turn raise less money for the cause, as with al themes it excludes those who are unable to adhere.

As a predominately male populated forum consider this; over 47,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year – that's 129 men every day. Every 45 minutes one man dies from prostate cancer – that's more than 11,000 men every year. 1 in 8 men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime.

For me its sad to see some who miss the point, prostate cancer is not pretty, if you had watched a beloved family member suffer the pain, hurt and sadness, slowly dying then you may be a tad more understanding.

If you're unable to take part and want to that's is frustrating, but maybe, just maybe the money raised may help you avoid being the 1 in every 45 minutes.

Not to mention male suicide is often called the 'silent killer' as it is the single biggest cause of death for men under the age of 45 in the UK. The latest figures show that male suicide rates across the UK are three times higher than female suicide rates, 84 men take their own life each week.

Just my two pence, each and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, beliefs and actions, I more hip replacement than hipster.

Anyway instead of moaning that wont let you ride, sell the crappy bikes you've got and buy a proper bike..........boom......

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    fair enough, each to their own

19. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm not sure that they are losing that much money to be honest.
    Last year the event raised $4.85M with 94,000 riders taking place in 581 cities in 92 countries. In it's first year it only raised $277,00.00.
    Would you get that many people interested if it was "just another" charity bike ride? :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah, but you have to market a worldwide event and make it stand out - that's all they're doing. Maybe if it was the "Scruffy Arseholes Ride" it would be different? :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. Help me Obi Wan...

Help me Obi Wan... Well-Known Member

i don't even own a suit or tweed. Black jeans, black leather jacket to go with my black Bonnie. Oh, forgot, black budgie smugglers. Clean ones as my dear old Mum used to say, just in case you have an accident.

Full of win.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2