Discoverings After Coolant Change

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by jesus malaga, Aug 7, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jesus malaga

jesus malaga New Member

Jun 22, 2022
    spain
    I have been noticing my '18 1200 speedmaster being a relatively hot bike. I thought it to be normal, as I owned a HD sportster 1200 bike and it was damn hot, even more than this one, and I have even seen a couple videos made from those guys working for bike magazines talking about the fact the refrigeration fan is more usual to switch on than other bikes. It is not only my impressiĆ³n, and not only this model - I am in contact with some owners of other modern classics line bikes, and they all notice that "this bike is hotter than others"

Those last weeks we have been suffering a heat wave in my country. With many days of high temperatures. And I have decided to change the coolant, as bike is four years old now and it is always recommended to change after 3-4 years to avoid quality reduction after additives start to degrade.

I have been also told about a product named "mocool". It is made by motul and supposed to be a mix of additives for refrigeration that increase heat dissipation effect clearly over regular additives. It can be used mixed with water alone, but it is also suitable (and interesting) to mix it with regular cooling-antifreeze liquids as used alone it will give no antifreeze effects:

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/mocool

First impression when I took out the original coolant was strange. Found it too thin, almost "water only", compared to coolants I have seen in other bikes I have been using before. Manual calls to use 50% concentration liquid, but that what it came out of the radiator was more like to be 10-20% concentration of whatever. Poor color, no chemical smell at all...

Maybe what they put into the cooling circuit is bad quality and degrade fast. Maybe they have in mind the low temperatures they use to manage in UK.

Either way, after refilling bike with a new mix of regular 50% coolant, with 5% mocool added, bike has changed dramatically.

I use the bike every day to go to my job, coming back at 16:30 PM, right the about the time when temperatures rise to the peak. Last weeks the usual activity was fan to get activated 4-6 times during that trip, most made in urban or suburban areas with heavy traffic. Those last days after change it have fell to be switching on only once when I have to stop the bike to open garage door - and not everyday.

Even if not living in a high temperatures area, good refrigeration is an important part of a long motor life. So I would say it should be a must for everyone here to improve the quality of the original coolant as soon as possible.

SaveShare