Digital Speedometer

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Capn Redbeard, Jun 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    hi , all help appreciated. Digital clocks all work fine except for the speedometer which reads 0 . Just pulled the front wheel and checked cables which all appear fine one pinch point which I scraped the cable back and tested with a meter and all ok . 3 pin connector block runs back through the harness but struggling to find which pin no on clock connection I should be testing for continuity anyone experienced theses problems on a speed four / tt600
    Any pointers would be nice because I don’t have much hair left to pull out!

2. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    Just appears to have a two pronged driver within the wheel which spins within the pickup . Bit like the old cable driven speedo on old school bikes before electric was invented !

3. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    Not sure if anyone had a wiring diagram for the speed four ?

4. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    Not sure if anyone had a wiring diagram for the speed four ?

5. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    1CABAB28-0E64-4425-8ECF-1F7CED64C9FC.jpeg So . Found this and currently waiting for my outlaw to send me a resistor to make up a test circuit!
    However write up says to rotate drive within pickup this would infer that no magnet is required . If a magnet is needed where would be I be able to source a replacement? Avoiding a main dealer and paying a sensible price ?

6. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    The speed sender uses a ceramic magnetic rotor; common issues there are that is either broken during tyre service or the drive plate is flattened and not properly engaging the rotor.
    There are essentially three components: the speed sender housing with the cable; the rotor; the drive plate.
    The magnet has two slots into which the corresponding drive plate 'teeth' fit into. The drive plate is fixed (somewhat loosely via similar teeth) to the wheel and as wheel rotates, so does the drive plate and in turn rotates the magnet inside the fixed speed sender housing.

You cannot get OEM replacement rotor without replacing the entire speedo drive.
    However there are replacement after-market rotors made of Aluminium that have small discrete Neodymium magnets embedded - you can find these on Ebay (if you can't find, I can post up a link for you)

The last part is that you say TT600/Speed 4 - which is it and what map is it running? It is important to note that these are NOT the same in how they process the signal - the TT600 has the Speed Sender connected directly to the Instruments; the Speed 4 signal is processed via the ECU. It is 'popular' to try to run TT600 maps in Speed 4 and the Speedo will not work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent

Hi Thanks, I replaced ECU with one purchased off eBay , this maybe the problem . I have switched back to the original but still need to test.
    I did not realise that the map could cause this problem, I had already changed back before you posted.

Tested the entire circuit on the cable back to the ECU and achieved continuity and also found an aftermarket magnet and awaiting delivery as Triumph were extortionate! Would have thought this should be sold as an separate part!

Will update you once I get parts and test.
    Sure it may help others in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    Well to conclude , aftermarket magnet fitted , spun wheel and speedo now working!
    Dozers Dad was correct in diagnosing magnet problem.
    Old bike with ongoing problems but nearly at a conclusion and ready for its MOT and back on the Road.
    never realised speedo was routed through ECU but hope this info may help someone else in the future

• Like Like x 1
  9. Capn Redbeard

Capn Redbeard New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Kent
    Thanks also to D’ecosse for his advice much appreciated

• Like Like x 2
  10. MacGregor

MacGregor New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Norfolk
    D'ecosse, please post the link to buy the replacement aluminium rotors. I need one for my 2005 Daytona. Cheers, Neil

11. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
  12. MacGregor

MacGregor New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Norfolk
    Hi D'Ecosse, thanks for the info, I ordered one of the aluminium rotors this morning from the ebayer in Italy :)