Featured Did A Good Thing Today, Very Pleased With Myself.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by FarkyNell, Feb 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Used to happen on my Dad's conservatory frequently - he put some bird silhouette stickers on the windows and it stopped. Well done for the rescue!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Cabe

Cabe Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Scotland
    Did that work for birds of prey as well as prey birds? Or would you need something like this?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    What goes round comes round, nice save.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jim Baker

Jim Baker Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, same bird over here. I practiced falconry for a number of years, during my apprenticeship this was one of two birds allowed, that or a red-tail hawk..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    No Jim, Kestrels and Sparrowhawks are two different birds. Kestrels hover above their prey and drop down on them, usually voles or mice. You probably call them hover birds. Sparrowharks hit their prey in flight and bring them down, usually pigeons, and small birds. We have a lot of Sparrowharks around here, and I often find a pile of feathers in the garden, where a pigeon has met its end. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Easy Tiger,
    If a sparrowhawk is taking pigeons then you either have a lot bigger sparrowhawks or smaller pigeons! Looks like you looked up the difference on wikipedia. upload_2020-3-18_12-33-44.jpeg
    Is a kestrel the same as a Sparrowhawk? What is pictured is not a kestrel or sparrowhawk here in the US.

This is our kestrel or sparrowhawk.
    [​IMG]
    The American kestrel (Falco sparverius), a North American falcon species, is also commonly referred to as a sparrowhawk. We are defiantly talking about two different birds!

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Well Jim, If you want to call an American Kestrel a Sparrowhawk, that's your business. Over here in Britain our Kestrels are called ( Falco Tinnunculus ) while The Sparrowhawk is (Accipiter Nisus ) If you want to get your information off Wikipedia that's your problem. I've been into birds since I was a kid, and my information came from the R.S.P.B. Book of birds. Oh! and a female Sparrowhawk will down a pigeon with ease. Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    If you would do a little research you would see that we're both right, just that we live across the pond from each other and we are talking about different birds!
    Cheers mate, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers! LOL

• Like Like x 4
  10. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    No Problem Jim, No feathers ruffled,......... only the pigeons. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1