Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    @Thruccy Sean just try running a wire from the screw on the tail lamp to a bare bit of frame, see if that helps

2. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Will try and give it a go tomorrow. Cheers Crispey. I’d seen a video on YouTube of the brake lights flashing on a car when the earth wire was removed which is what made me look for it on this tail light.

There are 3 wires coming out of the light itself but they all run into the connector that attaches to the bike. With 2 separate connectors each side for the indicators.

3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Just tried this and made no difference :confused:

4. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Checked all connections and couldn't see anything that would cause an issue, sprayed contact cleaner on the the tail loom in the bike and on the loom for the LED tail light but still no luck. Took the LED tail light apart and looked ok inside, it's literally just a circuit board with 3 wires soldered to it surrounded by LEDs. Coupe of the soldered connections on the board perhaps (I'm clinging at straws) had some tiny black spots on them so gave that a clean and sprayed it. Tried again but still the issue persists.

Popped the standard tail light from my tail tidy set back in to see if the issue occurs with that on but nope that works perfectly.

Don't know what else to try so I'm sending the LED tail light back. Undecided whether to go for a replacement or get my money back.

5. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    How frustrating, replacement unit obviously not fit for purpose :worried:o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If you got it from squaredeals you should have no probs, but wait til later on Monday and I’ll have a look at my set up in the morning

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks. It’s boxed and ready to go but I’ll hold off posting it for now. There’s only one place the tail light can connect to on the bike so I’m not sure what’s up. If the standard tail light works fine with indicators on yet the LED one doesn’t then it must be an iffy unit.

And yeah I’ve returned stuff to squaredeals before and they’ve been fine about it. Actually last time they said keep the part and still sent out a replacement :)

I’m going to replace the indicators as well I’ve decided. The ones that came with the tail today look nice but you can’t see them flash if you’re side on from the bike. So a set with more of a lens is in order.

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Let me know what indicators as I’m thinking along the same lines, I have the same yo tings , or whatever,

9. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Guess.
    If the leds are running on less power then more power is avalible and causing a surge would a relay on the indicators help.?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    @Thruccy Sean
    Hi mate just been out and had a look at my tail light. You know that harness you had that the indicator wires didn’t fit? Bit like this one, well that’s the one I have but I cut off those square connectors and put bullet connectors on to match the indicators, I cut the sheath back a bit to expose a bit more wire. As you can see the harness has the three wires for the tail light

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    #132 Thruccy Sean, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Ta Crispey Something like this? Forgive the crappy diagram.

[​IMG]

Or just cut the 3 wires coming out the tail light and pop bullet connectors on them. Then connect to the old harness that came with the tail tidy?

13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I thought the indicators and the tail light were on serperate circuits. Or would that not matter?

14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I meant The short black ones for the indicators, but now I’d wait until your new ones turn up and see what connectors are on those, it looks as though they’re male bullets as well. In the meantime you could try connecting up the ones you have on to the square connectors using pins or some such

15. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thing is the ones for the indicators (yes they are male connectors) those are what I bought these interconnects for:

[​IMG]
    Then the left/right indicators plug into those. But as the tail light flashes even when the rear indicators aren't connected at all, it can't be an indicator issue surely? So I can't see how changing this connection for bullet ones would make a difference.

I think the issue has to be with the tail lamp connector. Shown as 1 on the diagram. Unless I'm wrong your LED tail light doesn't have that connection for the 3 tail light wires, it just has bullet connections?

[​IMG]

Squaredeals have said they're fine with me returning it, but I'd also like to work this one out ..

16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    AAH Right, didnt realize you were still using those connectors, I havent got the indicator ones and just bodged up some bullet ones instead. Have you tried a continuity check on everything, especially the earth wire from the end of the tail light connector to the tail lamp body

17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This is the problem with the so called "plug and play" harness. I had the same issues when I swapped my original tail light assembly on the Bonneville for the Lucas style rear light (none-LED) and different indicators.
    The rear light plugs in but the indicator connectors (the square ones) are designed to connect with the ones on the stock indicators, which you are getting rid of.
    I did the same as crispey and replaced them with bullet connectors but still had a problem with the offside rear indicator not working occasionally. Turned out to be a small cut in the positive wire which was rubbing against the body of the indicator housing and shorting out - never blew the fuse but stopped the RH indicators from working.

18. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Did you have the flashing tail light problem which is the issue I’m having?

I have interconnectors for the square connectors on the indicators that changes them to bullet so that’s not a problem.

But I think the issue lies with the plug and play harness for the tail light and perhaps these need swapping out for bullet connectors.

19. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Na I need to get a multimeter.

20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No, the tail light and brake light works just fine. It was only the indicator that was playing up. I'm still not 100% happy to be honest as I'm never sure whether the indicators won't let me down again. I plan to strip it all down and heat shrink all the bullet connections whilst checking that they work!