Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    This video was taken after starting the bike up just now, it had been sat outside (covered) in the cold/wet for about 6 hours. Again the bike wouldn't fire up because it thought I wasn't in neutral.

So I had to get on it and kick it into first then back into neutral but you can see from the flickering neutral light that it can't quite decide what it's doing. No problem hitting neutral after it's warmed up though ...

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #62 thebiglad, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks. We adjusted the clutch cable the other week when doing the brakes so might be that. I'll try and adjust the cable tomorrow if I get a chance and see what happens.

I was going to say it's only during the initial start-up that I've seen it as that's when it stops the bike firing up (as it doesn't think it's in neutral) but then I guess I don't ever sit at the lights or stuck in traffic in neutral revving for no reason.

You reckon fitting part 18 is a fairly 'noob-ish' job or something a mechanic would have to do?

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It will be an absolute doddle mate, but before you spend any money get under the bike and check the electrical connector - it might just need cleaning !!!

5. Kev06

Kev06 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Scotland
    Wish i had thought of that after melting my cover

6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Will do. I've no paddock stand so I'll have to throw myself under there :)

I assume the switch is down around the gear pedal so that's where I'll head with my connection cleaner and silicone spray!

7. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I've played with the clutch cable and the issue is still there. Got down on my hands and knees by the gear lever trying to find this neutral switch but I can't see any sign of it?

Have I got to take things apart to get to it?

[​IMG]

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    According to that parts diagram the switch is on the underside of the box (screwing upwards) and it'll have a cable attaching to it.

9. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I am looking around the right place though do you think?

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes mate, just kook underneath, not from the side. If you can park the bike leaning up against a wall on the rhs, you'll probably find it easier. It should be underneath the splined shaft coming out of the gearbox, I think ???

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Well I fitted the new chrome choke knob. Still can't put my finger on where this blasted neutral switch is though. :confused:

[​IMG]

Took a few pics whilst I was under the bike. Just can't match up the triumph diagram to what's in front of me. I'm sure it's staring at me o_O

[​IMG]

I 'feel' like it's the little thing attached to this cable in the picture below but that's only as I can't see what else it is down there. I've tried giving it a little pull, but it didn't budge ...

[​IMG]

12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    The wonderfully interesting neutral switch issue has it's own thread here now :eek:

13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Chrome Union Jack oil cap :)

[​IMG]

14. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I've been out of action for a while but I'm back and back riding again. Happened to ride past a parked up black Thruxton earlier (a year older than mine) so stopped for a couple of pictures. As you do ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Glad your back riding!! Enjoy the sunshine!

16. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thank you Matthew.

17. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    You could slip a piece of rubber hose over the front lug in order to take up the play

18. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Went to put the cover on the bike this morning after riding to work and noticed this bugger in my rear tyre :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bit of bad luck at the moment. Rear aftermarket Arizona indicator went the other day so opened it up to swap the bub out for a new one and the bulb just fell out leaving the metal casing lodged in the fixing. Whole things rusty and corroded and wouldn't budge so have had splash out on a new set because obviously they don't sell them as singles :confused:

Bike had it's MOT recently and I was expecting the steering head bearings to come up again as they were highlighted on the MOT last year. Even my mechanic said they'd need to be done at some point soon but nothing about them this time around.

Haven't done much on the bike to be honest as it's not needed anything but have fitted a lovely headlight grill which looks great and considering the ridiculous price it was so it should! I've got a powder coated short front fender to fit which I'll do over the xmas break and then I think it's time to save up for some shorty predator exhausts :yum

Hope everyone's well.
    Sean.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Was going to but didn't want to risk it deflating on me before I got home. I'm at work and home is half hour away so don't want to get stranded here. As much as I love work and all that ;) I've checked the pressure a few times throughout the day and it seems to have held but at least when I'm home I've a few tyre places near-by.

20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Good idea I'll see what I can find here.