Thruxton Diary Of A Thruxton 900 Owner

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Thruccy Sean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FarkyNell

FarkyNell Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    manchester
    Mine doesn't wobble now but it did until I fitted it back properly which was a bit of a faff to be honest.

2. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Hmm maybe I have done it wrong then, again :confused:

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Good to check but mines never a faff.

4. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Will have the seat off again around lunch time to treble check it but this is how it is just now.

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's not right Sean - have you checked the underside of the seat to ensure all the rubber pads/grommets are in place?

6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I'll have the seat off again at lunch to check everything is there.

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup that's definitely wobbly, mine would be classed as a slight movement.

8. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah I'm not happy with it now, especially as you've both confirmed it's not right. Going down soon to check it all over ...

9. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Hmm, well I have 7 rubber grommets in total. But they're in different places to yours Crispey. I'm quite clearly missing 2 of the 3 right at the front. I have the one right at the front but I don't have the 2 either side of the 'catchy thing'. Should there be 9 grommets in total then?

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with the catchy thing or the hooks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. FarkyNell

FarkyNell Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    manchester
    I'm sure yours looks a bit different to mine underneath but I'll whip it off later and revert. Mine's a 15 plate but not sure if the seats were changed at any stage of the production run.

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That'll be your problem there should be 9, sorry I put 7 down by mistake those missing 2 by the catchy things wats causing the wobble

12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    This is a 12 plate but the original owner had a slightly smaller seat put on (still a Triumph one) to account for his shortish height. That could be why it looks different? I wondered if this was causing the wobble but seems it's the 2 missing rubber grommets that are the issue.

13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah seems so, I'll try and source some :)

14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    try moving the middle ones to the front see if it makes a difference, it should but i'd move them back as you're never too sure what they're keeping the seat off

15. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Took a quick ride over to where the bike was originally purchased (Metropolis Motorcycles - about 5 mins from where i'm working today) and picked up the 2 missing grommets. Came to £4 but the cheeky bastards want to round it up to a fiver as they can't do transactions under a £5 as they'll get charged 50p. Give us a tail light bulb or something then geeze :rolleyes:

They must make an ABSOLUTE fortune in that place and they can't do sales under a fiver on a card, come on ... o_O

Anyway fitted them outside the shop and seat feels loads better, no wobble, very secure and I may actually be sitting about .2 or .3 or a millimeter higher now :cool:

• Like Like x 5
  16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Good news Sean !!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    It would seem I am no longer a Loser :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    So my fuel light came on at about 75 miles yesterday o_O I was a little surprised as my tiny little 125cc used to average about 95 miles on one tank of petrol (and then it had a reserve tank which got you another 10 miles if needed...)

Granted I know your riding style, weight and what type of commuting you're doing (city riding/motorways) will all play a part but still for it to come on so early left me a bit disappointed.

I pulled into the petrol station and gave it a real good filling up, there was no way anymore petrol was going in!

Reset the odometer and we'll see where I end up this time. I'm expecting more this time though!

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Sean, I think most Thruccy owners would say nearer to 130mls would be about right, assuming you fill the bike right up. In the manual it talks about a 16 ltr (from memory) tank, but I could never get more than about 12 ltrs in even when the light had been on for a while.

20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Dave, I'm not convinced my previous fill-up was all the way to the top. I was able to get almost £4 more worth of fuel in the tank yesterday so I must of missed some the previous time around. Just been riding around during lunch to try and rack up some miles! Only time will tell :)