Dial condensation.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by John Will, Dec 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Exactly the same as the John Will image above!!

2. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Yep, mine are exactly the same as the picture too. Not all the time, I think just when it gets a bit warmer.

Not the end of the world, just difficult to see what mode I'm in & fuel blocks left etc.

3. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    My dealer changed my speedo and the mileage was loaded onto the new clocks automatically. I didn't have to ask/remind my dealer to do it.

4. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Yes roughly about the same distance for me as well.....lol
    Somehow having a dealer just down the road from you is seems a bit of a luxury...lol

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I have the same issue on my 2017 T100 Black. Small amount of condensation or as some call it a smearing of sorts during some rides but I cannot corollate if it has anything to do with cold days, hot days, or any combination. I have never gotten the T100 gauges wet, only humidity and temperature changes... never washed or ridden in the rain. I gave my dealer pictures and they submitted a warranty claim to Triumph. I was told today that Triumph rejected the claim based on it happening after I left the dealer... as in it was not delivered with condensation so it is not their problem. The dealer has offered to remove the gauges and set them in the sun to dry out. I have not seen the condensation in a few weeks but it bothers me that it happens at all.

Does anyone know 100% if the gauges are vented? Or sealed? If they are vented, then I guess this kind of thing can happen once in a while... it still bothers me but at least I understand it... and it does go away after a while.

Also, anyone have a contact at Triumph USA that I could have a conversation with on this?

Thanks.

6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Triumph rejecting the claim is unacceptable.
    There is clearly a problem which has been reported by numerous owners.
    I would approach this from a Health & Safety angle stating that the condensation is obscuring your vision of the speedometer making it an unreliable instrument for gauging your speed, running the risk of speeding violations or potential accidents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Triumph have rejected the warranty claim?
    Guaranteed until it leaves the premises?
    They need their arses kicking, very hard indeed!

Curly

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Any chance you can post a photo so we can see? Then we can give you a better idea if it's the similar smearing/condensation that a number of owners have suffered in the UK.

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    The instrument cluster for the 2017 Bonneville T100 is not sealed. Feedback from Triumph USA via my dealer is that the cluster is not sealed. I took apart the instrument pod and found 6 vents at the back. Inside those vents are fabric patches covering the vent. I discovered a film of sorts on the back of the lens to both gauges. When I cleaned them with a anti-fog fluid, I was able to remove the greasy film, and the condensation has not returned (yet... fingers crossed).

I suspect a clear grease of sorts, maybe used to install the gasket between the halves of the instrument cluster was smeared on the inside of the lens and when it was wiped off, there was a transparent film left behind. The film was glue/grease like in texture but came off easily with a couple of wipes with the anti-fog fluid.

Hopefully my condensation mystery is solved.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. T01streettwin

T01streettwin New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    London
    Hello, I have the Triumph water cooled street twin scrambler kit.
    I was hoping no to post on here but can not find anyone with issues i am having!
    My bike has been back to the dealers for the 5th time, due to what feels like a misfire!
    First time it ever went back was due to condensation in the speedo but no riding problem. Then it started the bike when trying to pick up ( third fourth gear mainly) it juggers, then keeping the throttle open picks up ( but its real noticable and horrible to ride). So it went back, they changed coils on the bike, second time they changed the rev limiter, third time they said it was the spark plugs! Now its doing it again!?!@
    So i had a thought because my speedo started getting the condensation again, now going back to what Spadaman said im worries its when the condesation in the speedo! Which is getting into the electrics! I will ring triumph tomorrow
    See how i get on. But has anyone else had this problem?

11. T01streettwin

T01streettwin New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    London
    Hello, I have the Triumph water cooled street twin scrambler kit.
    I was hoping no to post on here but can not find anyone with issues i am having!
    My bike has been back to the dealers for the 5th time, due to what feels like a misfire!
    First time it ever went back was due to condensation in the speedo but no riding problem. Then it started the bike when trying to pick up ( third fourth gear mainly) it juggers, then keeping the throttle open picks up ( but its real noticable and horrible to ride). So it went back, they changed coils on the bike, second time they changed the rev limiter, third time they said it was the spark plugs! Now its doing it again!?!@
    So i had a thought because my speedo started getting the condensation again, now going back to what Spadaman said im worries its when the condesation in the speedo! Which is getting into the electrics! I will ring triumph tomorrow
    See how i get on. But has anyone else had this problem?

12. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Hi all,
    I have a 2010 Bonny SE and the speedo and rev counter occasionally mist up and show slight condensation on the lower part of the glass im a little late for a warranty claim and bought the bike secondhand but I will take apart as above and look at venting interesting post

13. T01streettwin

T01streettwin New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    London
    Yes please let us know, it seems everyone will have this problem, and if the problem i am encountering is due to this we need to make triumph know the future problems this could cause. I have added photos of my bike as i have done a few bits myself including handle bars which i did ask triumph to check it had no affect and a high flow airfilter i put in but they say this all is fine!

IMG_0640.PNG

IMG_0641.PNG

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Martin McCarthy

Martin McCarthy New Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    Just had the same problem on Bonneville T120 both dials had condensation which took about three hours to clear wi be ringing my dealer today .

BCEAB022-2601-4FF0-A545-88A2AB0EC516.jpeg

3B8217AA-33D1-4A71-8617-CF208268B6FE.jpeg

C900E734-D14B-4B3D-A253-F2A4ADD858F3.jpeg

5150D23B-2CD0-4B53-B508-913264AA6244.jpeg

15. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
  16. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    Hi John just rang my dealership and sent him the pics so will see what their response is it’s a bit worrying that your on your third set !!

17. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth

18. Martin McCarthy

Apr 6, 2018
    Bournemouth
    Just been contacted by three cross parts on order under warranty so fingers crossed they’re improved parts that are fitted.

19. destination

destination Member

May 12, 2017
    leicestershire
    my speedo filled with water the bike wouldn't start. I replaced with one of ebay

20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: My speedo’s are filled with MEAT & two veg:imp:

My bike starts every time :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1