Dial condensation.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by John Will, Dec 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    None whatsoever on my 2012 Bonnie
    Bike sleeps outside and gets used virtually all year round.
    This problem seems to be a bit hit and miss ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jboy

Jboy Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire
    Had my T120 about 6 months now. Last week took it out on a sunny-ish day and the clocks did mist up a little bit. Somewhat surprised/bemused when i got back i undid the 4 screws that hold the backing on and left it overnight. All gone in the morning. There are two little holes at the base of the plastic cowling so the 'breathable' thing is sort of true. I figured they were draining holes. Anyhow, i have decided its not a biggy and no bike is perfect (well i havent ever found one yet that is) so unless this turns into a much greater problem i'm gonna ignore it. P.s went out yesterday did about 100 miles all crystal clear....

3. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    What happens with mine is like a smearing of gel appears - it is definitely not condensation. It only happens on sunny days, but once my bike goes bike in the garage the smearing disappears in front of my eyes. I would say my speedo has a poorly applied coating (coating is to stop condensation). Even in the garage if i examine the speedo glass closely I can see some streaking on the glass at the bottom of the glass - this is the exact location where the smearing occurs on sunny days.

4. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    IMG_0482.JPG This was what's happened to my previous clocks, it is like a gel coat. New clocks have a very slight trace but wait to see what happens when ridden then parked in the sun. Not unhappy.

5. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    I did 90 miles in the pissing rain today and my clocks didn't mist up once.

After a tea & cake stop the ride back was blue skies & sun - and then they started misting!

6. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    Just got mine changed, no questions asked...

7. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I've noticed similar. Wasn't too bothered but if they correct the annoying return to mileage display then it's probably worth it.
    Job for service time I reckon

8. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Reported my second set of clocks today for condensation, it seems it happens more when warmer. Only did 60 odd miles this afternoon and gradually got worse.

9. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    It looks like Triumph can't seem to get it right - very annoying.

10. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    The replacements are in and once again no problems, this time they have come in quickly. Another round trip of 80 miles, well someone has to do it.

11. McEloff

McEloff New Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Aberdeenshire
    Just out of curiosity, is the original mileage somehow retained on the new dials or does it reset to 0?

12. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    The dealer loads it with your mileage, in my case they did not reset the 500 mile service so the indicator spanner is showing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    Interesting, my dealer said nothing they can do to load old mileage, new clocks with zero on them.

14. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Find out again when they change them again, third time lucky.

15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tricolore, unfortunately not surprising to me at all! The IT knowledge level of the average bike mechanic is really very poor. With their diagnostic terminals they should be able to reset the odometer in a matter of seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Dealer that changed mine managed to reset the mileage to previous reading on replacement set.

17. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    That might be a worry further down the line for people looking at buying 'genuine mileage' used bikes :(

18. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    I've only done 880 miles so not a massive mileage to effect values etc but agree, I hate it when there's any mileage anomalies when you're buying second hand..

I'll speak with the dealer....

19. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    I have just booked my T120 in for the second set and clocks and verified that they do put the mileage down as per previous clocks. They did do it on my previous set.

20. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Noticed inside condensation on my clock glasses this morning. Couldn't see the digital displays. Really annoying.
    :mad: