Dgr 2024

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RevPaul, May 18, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Hi All

Its that time of year again tomorrow and the weather in my part of the world is looking set for a great ride:cool:.

I know the DGR is a bit marmite among our membership, but lets use this thread to share where we're riding tomorrow and post photos.

In my personal experience as one who's needed counselling and who's body has reached that age (fortunately no cancer) the importance of this charity cannot be underestimated.

I'll be on the Warrington ride with my trusty Street Cup, along with friend Colin on his modern BSA Goldstar.

And since I seem to be first in, and you don't get if you don't ask, here's my donation link for anyone feeling kind enough to donate and support this excellent charity.

https://gfolk.me/PaulWithington440108

Enjoy the ride:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @RevPaul
    Yes it is a good charity. The only thing I object to is they want people to have sponsor's galore. Don't know about now but that was I think the second year. Well if I want a ride then I will go for one other than petrol and food costs me nothing. And I sponsor a few charities mainly the children charities like almond street. And if I meet a cancer charity i will never ignore. I don't want to be pressured into any decisions that I don't make. Still of my pedestal now. Enjoy your ride out. Joe

3. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks Joe. I understand your concerns, but if people just turn up and ride without raising funds then what has it achieved?

That said I think the organisers have mellowed since Covid19; sponsorship is strongly encouraged, but not a requirement (not unlike the style guide and bike requirements) but this is about raising funds for two important causes. And I think the reason that they've relaxed is that they've realised that not everyone can get sponsorship and the bigger the event the more notice it gets.

Personally I think they could do more to raise funds if some riders had buckets and bibs or arm bands to identify them on the ride so those watching could give a little.

When I register, I always sponsor myself and a random other, I think of it as a bit like buying a table at a car boot sale. I sponsored one in Ukraine last year:cool:!

Enjoy the ride:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    So the Warrington DGR was an absolutely glorious day spent in good company, clear skies and very comfortable temperature:cool:. Great selection of bikes among the fifty or so bikes taking part. BSAs, Triumphs, Harleys & REs old and new, a '70s era Harley chopper, several BMW R9Ts, even a scooter (riding behind that wasn't pleasant and showed me how smelly my Suzuki GT250X7 was back in the day).

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

For me this Thruxton was the star bike.
    IMG_3699.jpg

And this Jack Russel was the most well behaved gentleman.
    IMG_3696.jpg

Rode around a bit of Warrington, then a few country villages to Northwich, then to Hartford for the finish at a pub where a couple of classic cars were waiting for our arrival.

Everyone rode well and money raised for a great cause:cool:.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Two stroke exhaust ain't smelly its right up there with female pheromones in my book, if that is a thing:p