Decent Tyres Suitable With Inner Tubes

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Godders, Jul 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Godders

Godders Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Keith
    #1 Godders, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    I've just done my first 500 miles after an eight year or so lay off. I'm using a bike I rarely used to use which came with the tyres on it that I bought 15 odd years ago. Although not cracked the rear is worn and the front follows imperfections in the road, so a new pair is required. They are some sort of Bridgestones, and as usual nowadays, marked as tubeless.
    The bike is a 1998 Thunderbird Sport with spokes so will need new tubes too. Any advice on some good replacement tyres along with quality inner tubes?
    Ideally I'd really like inner tubes with cranked valves as getting anything over the valve at the front is impossible (because of the two brake discs) except with a foot pump. Does such a thing exist or do you need to add an extension each time?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    My BMW has tubes and I’ve just put a pair of Dunlop Qualifier 2s on.
    AFAIK any tubeless tyre is fine with tubes if the wheels need them.
    I got my tubes from BMW but have used Bikespeed before. Haven’t seen any with angled valves though, I just use an adapter that screws onto the valve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    I have Avon Storm 3D XM on my TBS.
    The tubes, I have no idea what they are.
    I'm not really experienced enough to comment on how good a tyre they are, I have nothing to compare them to, but they feel good to me.
    I've done around 4000 miles on them and the rear still has more tread left than most tyres at new!
    I believe that any tyre can be used with a tube, but it effects the speed rating etc. I could be wrong, I'm sure others on here will know more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Avon Storms, as above, are excellent tyres - my Trident 900 loves 'em!
    Try ringing the Avon factory for advice re using inner tubes. Their technical department are very helpful. Don't have their number but they are based in Melksham, Wilts - or were when I last looked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Godders
    Go along with the peeps on Avon's. my choice for ever. And I think Triumph should be able to sell tubes with the angled valves. But you can get the angled adapters to fit try Ebay or Amazon.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Godders

Apr 29, 2019
    Keith
    Ok, went with ContiMotions, but will certainly think about the Avon’s for next year.

Bloody seat is uncomfortable after a couple of hundred miles. Any suggestions?

7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Stop after 199 miles! :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Godders

Apr 29, 2019
    Keith
    There is that but my piles are begging for a gel seat or something like it. There must be some options that don’t look too horrific

• Like Like x 2
  9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    What about one of those Airhawk air cushions? Never tried one myself but they just strap on over the seat and seem to have decent reviews, even if they are a bit pricey. But if it works for you then it becomes priceless.:cool:

• Like Like x 2