Tiger 800 Deal in Germany...

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Winglad, Apr 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Like this?
    IMG_0597.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Here we go!
    Just returned from a test ride on the 800 XRt.

Let's talk money first: including the special offer with the aluminum cases, I got an offer on the brand new XRx including registration and all for 11.500,- €
    That is 2.000,-€ below listing.
    For my XJR they offered me 7.500,- aiming to sell for 8.000,- max. That is definitely not peanuts.
    So I would be throwing in another 4.000,-€ Or 3.500,- if I sold it privately.
    That's a fair deal in my eyes. Don't know, what kind of offers they make at your dealerships.

Now, the test ride: The Tiger is a great bike. The seat was the heated standard version and therefore not lowered but also exactly how I need it to be.
    The suspension is not as good as on my XJR (all Öhlins) but better than on the Bonnie. Gear shifting, clutch and brakes are sheer fun. Same holds true for handling. The mirrors are perfect. No need for aftermarket.
    I think it is THE perfect bike for long haul touring in northern Europe having all those nasty weather features and options.

Will I buy it?

Well I climbed from the Yamaha onto the Tiger.
    ...and once again experienced that I own one of the best engines that have ever been designed for a motorcycle. It starts with this great bassy sound (standard exhaust), the way it delivers its power and torque and ends with the quiet crackling sound it makes when turned of.
    And it will be doing this still after 100.000 Km.

The Tiger's engine needs more revs and, of course, sounds more 'whiny'. Different and distinct but you have to like it. I am sure I would get used to this different setup and also would love it after a while.
    There is nothing wrong with it.
    But I decided, it is not worth 4.000,-€ for me at the moment.

Well a test ride is really the best thing one can do to find all this out. No reading or talking could live up to it.

And it is a good feeling to come to a conclusion AND save some money. ;)

And you never know, what the future holds in stock...

• Like Like x 3
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent analysis and decision-making process. I must admit I was mightily impressed with the Tiger 800, but compared to the engine in the XJR, well it's in a different league isn't it?

However, I'm currently putting out feelers for an XRx myself and someone has shown interest in mine, so maybe, just maybe, I'll be having one in your place !!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Yeah, could be, Jez. There is one major internet platform here called mobile.de and I checked the price there as did my Triumph dealer.
    If I waited patiently, I might get 8.300,- for it. But the market for this bike is not good at the moment and I think the dealer's offer really was quite fair.
    Point is: there are too many XJRs for sale now with very low mileage since they were sold out quite below value to begin with due to the EURO4 panic (here we go again, Brussel sh.theads).
    Basically, it is not the dealer, but the market which is unfair at the moment.
    But to be honest: as I wrote above, I decided in favor of the XJR mainly because of the bike and would have done so, even if I got a 1.000,-€ more for it.
    That's why I am really glad, I took the Tiger out for a walk!

@thebiglad
    That would be great, man!
    For me the Tiger is one of the best adventurers, there is!
    Keep us in the loop, please :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don't hold your breath! He says this every year then buys something else!!

• Like Like x 3