Tiger 800 Deal in Germany...

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Winglad, Apr 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #1 Winglad, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    So this is new territory...

First post in the Tiger subcategory.

Here in Germany, they offer a set of epedition-hardcases, worth about 1000€ with the purchase of any new Tiger.

Got me thinking. I have a Yamaha XJR1300 next to my Bonnie and I was wondering, should I trade it in?
    In my case we are talking Tiger 800 XRx.

I just opened this thread just for a general brainstorming.

Any input welcome :)

Oh and something else: any experience anyone with the higher windscreen? Worth its money?

THX

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    GET IT! GET IT! GET IT!
    That enough input for you?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Very profound, thanks! I am almost convinced :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Yes I'm having a bit of that here too Winglad..... trading in my Street Twin for a Tiger 800 XRT with free panniers, should be here in a couple of weeks.

I've also added a few extras from the very tempting accessories list Triumph kindly provide :eek:

So YES !!!....... I'm with crispey.........GET IT !! :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Yeah, I read your post earlier. And I know it is a great bike...
    Hoooowwwwllll !!!!

6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Go for it!! might be an idea to find out what they will give you for your old bike,if the dealers over there are anything like ours they will offer you Peanuts:eek:! Ha Ha i just remembered another thread... that might seal the deal for you;):D if it was me i would sell the bike privately

• Like Like x 3
  7. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    This is actually one of the downdrafts: the XJR does not hold its value for an excellent bike like this. No ABS, no TCS and all those other ritzy abbreviations...
    I put in about 1500€ of extras (panniers and Rizoma stuff and I have the vague feeling, I would be burning
    money...)

But still. The Tiger is very tempting o_O

8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i would take all the extras off if you were to px it, and sell them separately

• Like Like x 2
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    In my opinion the Tiger 800 XRx is probably one of the best all round bikes ever made !!!

If you want to chase down some small roads on a Sunday morning with sports bikes mates, you'll be at the café first.

If you want to take your wife away for a romantic weekend with the luggage package you can get she'll have all the space she needs and you'll be able to take some spare socks.

If you want to tour Europe she's a comfortable, economical, efficient and satisfying as any tourer, but so much better in the Alps/Pyrenees/Dolomites !!

Really, really good bike.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That's a shame about the xjr as it's a stonking bike and I had one although just 'passing through my fingers'
    The tiger will service you better and it just does more. Sometimes I think I need an uglier bike with longer suspension as roads never seem to fix themselves here. Not saying the tiger is dam ugly but I personally like a bike to look 'bike' hence I have a bonneville but must admit practical always works with me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Exactly my thinking :D

Well not so long ago, I owned the previous 800XC, but even with the lower Touratech seat, it was too high for me. I am 1,80m. This came as a surprise.
    So it definitely would be the XR on my next try.
    You are right about the screen: I almost felt better on my naked bike, than riding with the 'old' high screen.
    It felt like someone was drumming on my helmet. I guess, this time I'd save the 200€ for the extra screen.
    Well, if they throw in the side boxes, all I would add is heated grips. I really love them on my Bonnie.

And I agree with you: It is hard to find any fault with this bike. I think the 2017 generation is even more refined. I love the instrumentation!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Was that you Jez?
    Could somebody please pinch me!!?? :eek:
    Are you OK?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    I did just google that. WARNING! You seem to be back to normal (crazy) :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    There is a low version isn't there? My 800 is standard, I'm 31" inside leg and I'm tip toes on that with the seat at its low setting, had a low version as a loaner and my feet were flat, do they do that in the deal??

• Like Like x 1
  15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I have a Tiger XRx. Best bike I ever owned. Does just about everything you'd want on a bike, except keep up with the big sportsters doing silly 'sorry officer' speeds on the straights. Love my Street Twin too, but if I could only keep one it'd be the Tiger, no contest.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Yes, the low version should be part of the deal but I would be fine with the standard XR(x). It has the same height, as my Yamaha (81cm).
    The XC is 84cm and XC LOW 81cm.
    To my surprise, the 'old' XC was my problem: I could reach the ground but not plant my feet flat down.
    With a fully loaded bike this felt unsafe to me. Especially when maneuvering backwards on a rainy day.

But I will not go offroad except for the occasional gravel-track, so the XRx is just fine.
    This saves another 1500€ for the XCx is more expensive as well.

I did some checking on the market. My Yamaha would get me max 8000,-€. It is a 2015 model with 7500 Km on.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    So with all charges and registration and stuff I am looking at another 4.500,-€ to invest.
    ... :( ...
    Quite a chunk.
    The deal ends in June, so there is still some time and I can relax, do a testride and then follow my own advice and not switch my brain off entirely ;)

After a night's sleep, I now know, it will be a tough decision since they are both great bikes.
    With the 4cyl aircooled 98hp engine, I own one of the last real big blocks and it runs smooth as silk, going in 5th from 1200 rpm to 7000 like pulled on a rubber belt. Even the T120 needs more gear shifts.

Well I keep you posted! :)

And thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Jez, it is the 'road'-version (XR) with lowered seat AND suspension; so it goes down to 76cm seat height!
    But you can also buy the XC as a low version, going down to 81cm which is standard XR height.
    Quite confusing. The XC has the spoke-wheels so that is easy to discern on pictures.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Woofff!

If it comes to animal-knowledge, ask DD. He thinks he got it figured out, what stock I am from :D

You probably have longer legs than me and a shorter torso to make up for the difference in total height...!?
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I have the standard XRx with seat set low and feet flattish to the ground. Then I tried the XC low version and found my feet flatter to the ground. Maybe an illusion and maybe a day when my hips were 'warmer' than usual, but I would likely have gone for the low XC had I known, not that I'm disappointed not to have spokes to keep clean.

• Like Like x 1
  21. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Traitor!

• Like Like x 1
  22. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Get some stacked heel boots with platform soles Winglad
    The height off the boots can be adjusted to the bike, sorted!

• Like Like x 1