De- Cat

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Bucky, Jan 24, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi, might be getting 2014 Commander, i had 1600 before and did the de cat using 90 degree elbows.
    Is the 1700 the same set up, cheers in advance

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Not sure to be honest mate, I haven't seen any product for a Commander decat and the only things I've read states it's definitely not the same as a 1600/1700 Thunderbird or Storm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bucky
    Welcome to the family bit late i know. As to your query i don't know either. Ask around a few dealers like destination triumph or the makers of the box.
    Joe.

5. Bucky

Bucky Senior Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Cheers folks

6. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Also, if you're interested (as you seem to be) with getting the most out of the engine, attached is the dyno I had done before and after getting a power commander fitted to the bike.

I never did the decat, and I've heard that doing so actually reduces power (without a remap) because the engine gets it's knickers in a knot. But I'm confident that with a decat AND a power commander, you could do much better than I have here.

dyno.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Infact, I'll go further and say that if you find a good decat kit for the commander, I might well get it fitted and re-re-map mine, see what the results are.

• Like Like x 1