Daytona 900 (1996 Some Tlc)

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by Chris Timmins, Jul 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Timmins

Chris Timmins Active Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    #81 Chris Timmins, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Thanks for all the positive feedback on the Daytona 900, much appreciated. I'll get some miles on after all the work done. I must have spent over 100 hours, £600 on parts, and a few extra tools to boot. I must say i learned loads and between scratching my head and huffing & puffing, i've been like a pig in poo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That looks beautiful now - factory fresh !!! Beautiful Job Chris, really.

:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Most of that Rattle is INDUCTION noise, as you have individual filters!! My America makes more noise, similar to yours since I gutted out the air box! :) :)

4. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Cheers, thanks for that, what do you think of the forks being polished other then factory black? I was reading up about Hinckley's factory, and in it's day they used state of the art paint system, and engineering, so I had a pearl to polish

5. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Yes I think the induction sound is starting to drown out the clutch rattle

6. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Oh yes, if anybody needs the complete air box system then give me a shout
    Chris

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I think the polished look is good but have you clear-coated them? Otherwise they'll take a fair bit of work to keep tidy. Painting them black will be easier to look after I think.

8. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hi
    Good idea, I'll add it to the winter job list, took the bike out today and it road like a dream. It never ceases to amaze me how a good set of tiers, well adjusted suspension and chain can make the bike feel so very different. I'd forgotten how sports bikes with fairings are so comfortable at speed, at just under ton :) it cuts through the air just getting into it's stride. My previous cruiser wasn't happy at these speeds and nor was I. It was like sailing a rowing boat in a storm :grinning::grinning:

9. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hi
    Just completed 200 miles of a mix of motorway and and town riding. The air filter's seem to ferform really well, no shunting or irregular running. The only thing I noticed was at full throttle on acceleration, the bike does seem to "hold back" slightly. I am used to riding new bikes with fuel injection systems so this may be the reason, I have no previous experience with traditional carburettors. The only real way would be a Dino test as tinkering with the mixture for me would be hit and miss. This would be worth doing for me so I have a full understanding of what the bike can do. I would'nt be interested in modifying to squeeze the max power out of it, just to ensure it's performing as it was originally designed to. Probably look at this in the winter months.
    Cheers
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Slowboy

Slowboy New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Kingsbridge
    Might be running a bit lean with the new filters, especially at the top end. Well worth getting a dyno set up.

11. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Yes agree it feels that way, there's no shunting or missing but lacking that extra pull which i'm sure it has. It would be good to get some data on it's performance anyway after the work and alterations. Also i do like the look of the standard exhast back pipes but they weigh a tone each. Makes sense to do a Dino after changing but it shouldn't make any difference to the power output should it??

12. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hello
    Just carried out some more work on the Daytona 900, stripping, cleaning and re-jetting the main jet. I mentioned on the previous post that I thought the bike felt a bit flat and had more to give, and this work did the job.
    Removed the carbs and stripped out all the jets, much easier without the air box

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4531.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    #93 Chris Timmins, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    I also split the three carbs so I could carry out some ultrasonic cleaning, these baths are great price on Amazon

IMG_4530.JPG
    All the carbs dismantled and trayed

IMG_4564.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    used this stuff to clean the carbs, see what you think !!

IMG_4574.JPG

15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Big problem on these are blocked pilot jets.

16. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    All three carbs cleaned

IMG_4575.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    The original jet sizes were 125, the new jet sizes increased to 135 which came with the air filters, new seals and O rings

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Putting the carbs back together was prity straight forward once you get around how small some of the jets and needle are

IMG_4576.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    #99 Chris Timmins, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    The Result
    Fantastic - 2 days work for a complete strip clean and service. I'm not a mechanic and learning on the way, makes sense why these Mikuni carbs are so highly rated. Restored all the jet setting float hights back to factory settings except the main jet and the bike feels 100% better a lot more responsive. The midrange jets looked blocked when I took them out, makes sense why all the jets need to be set up correctly to ensure correct fuel delivery see below

IMG_0022.jpg
    Will re-balance the carbs post re-build and get back to you, but the improvement already is estonishing

• Like Like x 2
  20. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Like Like x 1