Daytona 650 Stator / R/r Issues

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by zobocop, May 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zobocop

zobocop New Member

May 4, 2019
    Bath
    Hi all. I don't normally post in forums at all, I usually search and get enough info but am getting desperate. I used to use daytona600.org but that closed a long time ago.

Anyway as per the title, having issues with the the charging system. Recently picked up a Daytona 650 to replace mine which was written off by a bus. It worked fine for a month and then it stopped charging properly. I notice the R/R has been replaced with the electrex one recently-ish (sticker on the side is dated July 2016). But whoever fit it should stay far away from electronics, the crimps were poorly done and the connector had gotten hot and melted. Tidied up the connections but still not behaving, getting weird jumps in the output voltage between 6 to 10 V, and its not constant. I also notice that the stator (can feel it through the casing), stator wires and the r/r get very warm.

Did all the multimeter checks on the R/R and it passes. Stator checks seem fine, no shorts, outputs equal voltage across all three outputs at expected levels. I figure maybe the r/r is fried. So I get a used FH001 from an 03 yamaha R1 and the link lead. Same issues but voltage doesnt go above about 2 V. So I replace the stator with a spare I have which I know was working when I removed it ages ago. same issues. Now I also try it with a spare stock triumph r/r. same issues. Inspecting the coils some of them look a bit darker than the others, and I've noticed some posts saying that although the stator outputs normal voltage across the pins, it's likely on its way out if the coils have started going black.

Today I receive and fit a new stator, albeit a cheaper one from china (£56 delivered). I try it with the yamaha r/r first. Now I'm pretty sure I remember this right (happened quite quickly), I measured 12 V at the r/r output, started thinking finally it's working, but then thought hang on it should be higher, like 14V. Then it starts dropping, 11, 10 V back down to <2 V?? Wires and stator start getting warm again. WHAT IS GOING ON.

Is it possible that a fried stator can damage an r/r? And then if you use said r/r with a new stator it will damage that too?

Are there any more in-depth ways of testing a stator or r/r? I work at a university so have access to plenty of equipment. Only idea I have is to test an r/r with an ESC for drones but I'm not sure if the frequency is appropriate.

2. zobocop

zobocop New Member

May 4, 2019
    Bath
  3. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Dinblinn or decosse on https://www.triumphrat.net/ could probably answer this one for you.

4. zobocop

zobocop New Member

May 4, 2019
    Bath
    Thanks, will try there