Daytona 600 Stops Charging

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by DannyStewart, Nov 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DannyStewart

DannyStewart New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Nottingham
    hi, my daytona stopped charging, so i fitted a new mosfet r/r and stator and a new battery. now the bike will start and charges at about 14.3 volts but after about 5-10 mins of riding it stops charging. im at my wits end . any ideas anyone. please help.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hmmmm .... surprised nobody's picked up on this one yet.
    I hate elastictrickery!

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    How do you know?

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just guessing!

5. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    you can try contacting Clive Wood in Swineshead. He's pretty good with lecktrickery on these bikes.

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    need all the details.

7. DannyStewart

DannyStewart New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Nottingham
    Ok. More info. tested everything with a multimeter. Rectifier diodes all good as shoud be. Stator, All phases have resistance and continuity and nothing gose to ground. The main issue seems to be the stator drops down to 5v AC on one of the phases after 5mins, the rest give out voltage as they should. This is what the old stator did that's why it was changed as it looked a bit fried, but still had resistance and continuity. So that would suggest to me the sator is not the problem as its the same problem with the old and the new. I'm thinking now maybe something loose in the stator housing?

8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    found;-

Some common reasons are :
    1). Load applied to generator exceeds capacity, typically would cause machine to slow down, drop frequency and voltage typically cause exhaust black stacking and depending on the overload and protection settings could cause machine to stall.

2). AVR Voltage gain set too low to respond to load being applied.

3). If AVR feedback is from generator bus VT and voltage dips too far, all excitation could be lost and would typically result in an undervoltage and overcurrent trip.

4). Speed control gain set too low to respond to load being applied.

5). Mechanical issue such as failing turbo unable to provide enough air of high enough pressure while taking on load which will cause machine to slow down and in some cases stall on high load application with sufficient reduction in speed voltage will also lower as well as frequency. In this condition you'd probably also see exhaust black stacking.

6). Mechanical issue such as fuel injection clogged or fuel filters clogged causing the machine to be under fuelled to handle load application and may cause machine to slow down, which in turn would drop Hertz and Volts.

7). There's a whole truck load full of other reasons why this could happen.

From what your saying you know more than I about this.

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    This would suggest to me a fault in either one of the replaced parts, or a fault in the wiring on the bike itself, corroded connectors, a break in the wiring that opens up with heat.

Are there wiring / connectors between the R/R and the stator that were not replaced when these parts were replaced ?

ie :- do they both plug into the loom rather than into each other ?

Is it the same phase that is " faulty " ?

Where is the R/R mounted ? what to ? is the physical connection clean & tight ?

New parts can be faulty did you check them both hot & cold ? Mosfets are static sensitive !!

How good is your DVM ? I suspect the 5v is induced voltage.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Teighto

Teighto Member

May 14, 2017
    Hythe
    ive gt same issues all parts replaced and still doesn't hold charge, continuously charge the battery !
    im going to be taking the whole bike apart over the winter month to get to everything !

if you find a solution let me know

• Like Like x 1