Datatool Trapped My Bike In "winter Mode"

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by AsaSpades2, Oct 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AsaSpades2

AsaSpades2 New Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Florida
    Hello everyone.

Trolled around trying to find specifics, but couldnt hence why im writing this post.

I have an 04 Daytona 955i i brought back with me to the states. Rode the bike a good 6 months back in the UK before shipping her over and long story short, after going through hell to get her registered and able to ride the DataTool seems to have fritzed out.

I put in winter mode when shipping, and when i got her in my garage, she wouldnt start. I assumed spark plugs or some other basic issues that i could remedy with some wrenching and TLC she was due for anyway. So i put the bike BACK into winter mode, got the beep. took all the fairings off and moved some wiring around to make working easier, and after hooking back up, the process of "waking up" doesnt not happen when i turn the ignition.
    Seems the Datatool put the bike in a sleep\winter mode, and then took a dump and now i cant power up the systems of the bike. I get front and rear lights, but nothing on the control panel.

I DID find the post here that shows how to make a "blanking plug" out of the DATATOOL system plug, but wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions before i cut up the plug or buy one from overseas.

Tried calling my local Triumph dealer, but i have a feeling theyll have no idea wtf im talking about, since DATATOOL only operates in the UK.

Thanks in advance

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Winter mode???? Datatool only works in the UK????? Double WTF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I had this with mine on the fireplace and I had to charge it for a few days and viola, started working.
    There's a small "backup" pp3 battery in the alarm itself and if that goes flat, it needs charging again.
    Takes a while though.
    What about using the "emergency" code (the code using the ignition key)?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    If Dtt’s advice doesn’t work send an email over to Datatool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AsaSpades2

AsaSpades2 New Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Florida
    One of the "suggestions" was to charge the bike battery to juice the Alarm system, i did that and then some. Bike battery was 70% and then i put it on a long slow charge up to 100 and let it sit for a day. Still nothing.

Is there another way of charging the alarm battery?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AsaSpades2

AsaSpades2 New Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Florida
    If only things worked the way people thinkg.
    That was the first thing i did.
    2 weeks now, zero reply which is on par for what ive dealt with with various companies based there. No offense, but im not holding my breath for any help from DataTool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AsaSpades2

AsaSpades2 New Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Florida
    Yeah, it minimizes the draw on the bike battery and allows you to remove the bike battery without the alarm going off.

Worked fine when i transported the bike and done work on it before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    open up the datatool and change it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    From datatool website...
    If the bike battery has been left discharged for a long period it is possible the internal battery has been damaged and will not recover, in this case the alarm will require replacement. Damage to the internal battery due to incorrect storage is not covered by the provided warranty, please refer to the user guide for information on long term storage, known as ‘Winter Mode’.

Nothing to lose by opening it up?
    Or, get on fleabay, buy a plug and keep your fingers crossed.
    What series isn the alarm??

• Like Like x 2
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Triumph should be able to get you the original bypass plug to disconnect the alarm and just run without it till you get it sorted.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Last job I did on mine, removed alarm and fitted blanking plug save a lot of bother in the long run

• Like Like x 5
  12. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    The best policy IMO. I have not had alarms fitted to my bikes for years. In my experience the only thing they are good at is draining your battery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AsaSpades2

AsaSpades2 New Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Florida
    Yeah thats kinda what im leaning towards. Im back in the States though so, getting a Blanking Plug is proving rather difficult. Found one on Ebay.UK but guy hasnt gotten back to me about shipping costs.

I dont want to cut up\break into the system yet because im afraid i might need it since its what put the bike to "sleep".

Any ideas on how to open it? looked around a little and i believe because i have the S4, its not openable. Components are set in a resin brick

14. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    • Like Like x 2
  15. AsaSpades2

AsaSpades2 New Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Florida
    ::UPDATE::

Apparently my first message to DT didnt go through according to the person that replied to my second email, but luckily i got a response.
    I asked him about "ignition feed" but im anticipating the standard "youll have to take it to a dealer" response, despite me explaining that im in the US.

Thoughts\Ideas?

DT Reply.png