Featured Dart Classic Screen Fitted To Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by meepmeep, Sep 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. meepmeep

meepmeep Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    Thought I'd share a few pictures. It took 10 minutes to fit and appears to be good quality.

I'll update this post with some thoughts on its performance once I've been out for a few rides.

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Northwest
    Can't wait to hear what you think Meepmeep. i've thought about getting one for the Bonnie but don't want to ruin the look, especially if there is no benefit. I'm 6'4" so get a lot of wind buffering and not sure what the small screen would do as a benefit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve fitted a Dart screen to my Beemer and although I’ve not really found any benefit in regard to wind deflection (it’s a bit small really, and I’m 6’2”) it does have the advantage of keeping bugs off the back of the clocks/headstock. :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. newcomer

newcomer Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2018
    king's lynn
    I had a dart screen on my Bonny and now have one on my speedmaster. I did not fit them as on the bikes when I bought them. They are quite good but find being a shorty (5.8) the screen deflects most bugs straight at my face. Only good this is I have full face helmet and not open face. Pebble dashing comes to mind on a really heavy bug day.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. meepmeep

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    I went out for an hour this morning to try out the new screen.

I'm 5' 9" tall and tried a variety of roads and speeds.

60 mph on A roads and motorway were very comfortable.

70 mph on the motorway - much reduced wind on the chest. Amateur use of the left hand to follow the wind from the top of the screen, showed it being directed to the helmet visor. With ear plugs in I didn't notice any extra noise or buffeting.

80 mph - much more bearable; I'm sure that I could maintain this for a few hours.

I didn't expect the screen to turn my naked bike into a full-on tourer, but I'm happy with the improvement for the money spent.

• Like Like x 5
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I do hope that was on a closed or private road. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Bagman

Bagman Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Dundee, Scotland
    I put the same screen on my Speed Twin and would agree with your findings. I actually think it looks like it should have been on the bike straight from the factory - well pleased :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. andrew harris

andrew harris New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    south wales
    Took my little street cup black n grey one, upto see my mates father whos in his 70s but still rides, anyway he has an old norton commndo, couple if vellos, bsa and a yamaha fazr which the only he one he rides now, and the thing he raved about the most on the cup was the fly screen, he bloody loved the thing haha. Didnt know wether to be chuffed or gutted.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. mountainstumble

Jul 29, 2019
    Nottingham
    I added one to my Sreet Twin and found riding on dual carriageways and motorways a much better experience but without completely stripping away all the feeling of being on a naked bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    3C0140B9-C024-48E9-8B09-9FB96D337E50.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I have one. It doesn’t do much but the difference is definitely noticeable. Looks rather smart, though..

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    Hi I was wondering if anyone has fitted a screen extension to the dart classic? I’m looking for a little bit more protection for the winter. There loads of cheap ones on eBay but look a little bit big for the dart.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    nice looks good

14. Photog_Steve

Photog_Steve Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Wow, glad I read this. Was thinking of getting one installed on my upcoming purchase of a T100. I gather it is not all that useful for wind deflection? I'm 5.8" as well.

15. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    It took me three height settings to get the best result. Initially I didn’t want a gap underneath, but found this help reduce buffeting :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. meepmeep

Jul 14, 2019
    Herts
    I tried one, as you say around a tenner from eBay. The only time it made a slight difference was when it was set to a vertical position. It didn't like staying in that position for long, and at motorway speed made the Dart screen flex a bit. The Dart would need to be braced somehow if used often.

17. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    First naked bike for a while and had forgot how hugh difference a screen makes

As anyone tried the Dart Marlin Flyscreen, looks a little higher than one in the original post which I think is the Classic ???

18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Had the Dart Fly-screen on my original 2004 Bonnie and felt that it kept some of the wind off my chest.
    Fitted one to my later 2012 SE and it didn't feel to make any difference.
    I'm 5' 10" - they only really work as a screen for keeping the backs of your clocks clean! :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    Umm OK One of my other touring bike is a Ducati Multistrada so a little spoiled for screen. Looking for a little more than keeping clocks dry as want to use new T120 for touring.

Found this screen also anyone know anything about them as never heard of them before ??

Puig Windy Screen
    upload_2021-2-1_13-24-11.png