Featured Customising Your Bike. Subjective Of Course But...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Apr 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    We all alter our bikes, adding bits’n’bobs, chopping’n’changing, sometimes for practical reasons and sometimes for aesthetics. I always find it interesting to see these changes and like everybody else l make a judgement. Do l like it? Would l want it on my bike? Would l buy a bike like that? However, l cannot for the life of me understand the use of pipe wrap on a modern Triumph, even a Bonneville. On an ancient bike maybe but not on a newbie. It always looks shabby, doesn’t make a new bike look any more authentic (whatever that means) and basically looks bloody awful, especially as most owners make a hash of doing it. So please STOP USING IT!
    Phew, got that off my chest.
    Now the question is, what changes do you absolutely hate and make you wonder what the owner was thinking of?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. half ton

half ton Ave yer gotta light Buh.
    Subscriber

#2 half ton, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    This could end up like the Brexit thread,With all the Cabin fever going on in here a poster could make life long enemies....so be tactful

ps .. I like exhaust wrap

pps .. only joking

ppps.. I actually do like exhaust wrap, But don't think my bike would benefit.:eyes:

• Funny Funny x 10
  3. chiari1

chiari1 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    Big sissy bars , Maltese cross or skulls of any sorts , I know its personal preference but not for me , im not a fan of top boxes but realise they are a necessity for some , I have one bit its for a reason but feel it spoils the " lines "

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly Errrr...
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    London
    Yes, with you on this. Someone another form even has some sort of reptile adhered to his front mudguard - that's exactly the kind of thing that makes me a bit sick in my mouth.

I actually quite like the look of exhaust wrap on the right bike, but personally I'd NEVER use it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. decrepitus

decrepitus Member

Mar 11, 2020
    carmarthen
    ah, i can see your problem. i'm assuming you dont wear the following: check shirt, jeans with turn-ups, cool brown leather shoes, possibly a scarf and a short haircut/long beard. anyone without that get-up wouldnt understand pipe wrap, or firestone tyres, or a brown leather seat. you sir, are clearly not a hipster...

• Funny Funny x 8
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I dont like most bog standard bikes with some exceptions ...mostly Triumph and Harley's (older) i like most things custom where someone has actually put real work in and thought about it...most bolt ons like those mentioned bolt ons look hideous on a std bike but i have nothing against pipe wrap in the right place and it actually has a real purpose it keeps the pipes at a constant high temperature which actually speeds gas flow through the pipes apart from the obvious stopping legs from being burnt.
    I guess most on this thread will hate my bike so no pic.:p

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    Tassels and leather fringes - why just why? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. decrepitus

decrepitus Member

Mar 11, 2020
    carmarthen
    i have no issue with modified bikes. each to their own, but what gets me with the hipster thing is that bikes have become a fashion statement and we've ended up with a lot of people who ride a motorcycle as opposed to bikers. owning a cool bike doesnt make someone a biker. but hey, what do i know...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Privateer

Privateer Stand up member
    Subscriber

Jan 2, 2017
    Derbyshire
    As the old saying goes, spending 20 grand and riding 200 miles a year does not make you a biker.

• Agree Agree x 9
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf GrrrR3Rrrr
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    Oh dear :(
    I’ve just spent 20k :eek: and I’ve only managed to do 150miles so far :sob:

• Funny x 22
    • Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
    • Face Palm x 1
    • Love You x 1
  11. Privateer

Subscriber

Jan 2, 2017
    Derbyshire
    Bleeding' hipster.

• Funny Funny x 15
  12. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    In general and in my opinion some after market accessories just look terrible. Things like generic wind screens and saddle bags. I usually go for Triumph OEM accessories because there was thought put into how they look on the bike. Also integrated fitment on the bike. I know they cost more but it is a must for me to ensure accessories are functional as well as look good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

I get a real buzz out of either making parts or modifying parts intended for other vehicles. And making them fit, work & look good in their new home.
    I'll spend far more time at a bike/car show chatting to the owner of a less than perfect vehicle. That he/she has used skill & ingenuity to create. Rather than turning it over to a custom builder along with a blank cheque.
    That ain't customising. All it says to me is "fat wallet & zero skill/imagination!"

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Put on your big boy pants and man up
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    You know me so well :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Does it really matter that some people ride bikes but don’t fit your definition of a biker? The way l see it is the more bikes on the roads the better and l don’t care who’s riding them or why. Bikes have been a fashion statement for decades, nothing new there. Just because a group of people choose to dress in a similar way and choose to ride a bike should they be vilified? Isn’t that what happened to a previous generation in the 60’s?
    If you go to the Bike Shed in London or the Bike Shed Show you will see people that you would probably categorise as hipsters. Many of them are passionate about motorcycles. I’ve never thought to ask them how many miles they ride, especially as l don’t know what the minimum requirement is before you can join the ‘real bikers’ club.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just remind me, what are the financial and mileage parameters that define a real biker?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    As with last two posts, this whole "real biker or not" is nonsensical. Does one have to do a certain number of miles? Get rained on a specified number of times a year? Wear Ashmans boots?
    BTW @Privateer love the pub sign-the Quiet Woman in Earl Sterndale I believe. Never been in but I park opposite when I do Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    Spending 20 grand on a bike and only riding 200 miles in a year makes you an idiot in my book! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    .....or very comfortably off :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Privateer

Subscriber

Jan 2, 2017
    Derbyshire
    I've never been in there either, it always seemed to be closed when I rode through. Like you, I love the sign, and googled it when I got home. Interesting story as to how it got the name!
    P.S. What's wrong with Ashman boots. Bought mine in 1974, and still as good as new. Only had 7 new soles and 5 new uppers!;);)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1