Speedmaster Cruise N Camp Fail - Another Statistic

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SethAddington, Aug 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SethAddington

SethAddington Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello Friends,

Well....where do I begin. Cruise N Camp was a fail for me. Speedmaster is totaled. Let's recap.

3 good friends and I decided to ride out for a weekend camping trip. About a 2 hour ride. It was a great ride until the accident.

We came to a 4-way traffic light intersection near the final destination. The traffic signal went from red to green. I began to accelerate straightforward through the intersection at reasonable and safe speed. As I was partially through the intersection a sedan coming from the opposite direction wasn't looking and decided to cut left across my path of travel. Two older folks. Must be in their 70's. There was little time to avoid a collision. Realizing the situation, I knew disaster was unavoidable. I cut the bike left to dump it on its side and skid into the side of this sedan rather than face the beast head on.

I immediately was able to get up and I walked over to the side of the road. Bike was crushed. It became a huge scene due to all of the witnesses. My first priority was making sure I was physically okay. I had a spinal fusion on L5-S1 a few years back that haunts me to this day. I knew that when I started riding I had to practice proficient and safe riding because my back probably could not handle any major accident without long-term disablement. I was only 28 years old when it happened with no prior back problems ever. when the back went out. Very healthy fit fella.

To my surprise, I felt okay. A little shocked from the incident as I looked at my precious in pieces in the middle of the road. I blew my left elbow open down to the bone from point of impact. My left ankle is a softball from being rolled on by the bike as we skid. My head did not touch the ground. Full-face helmet is in perfecto condition.

Tons of witnesses including my buddy who was behind me while it happened. Everyone has the same story, including the couple who cut me off. They all said it was the older couples fault. They were not looking and caused the accident. The couple who cut me off admitted full blame for the accident.

The ambulance took me to the hospital. My friends stayed behind to grab my gear and make sure the bike was towed and state patrol got the right story. I asked them to still go camping and take my brand new bottle of rum and have a drink for me.

I'm lucky. My back feels perfectly fine so far. The only pain I have at the moment is my rolled ankle and my stitched up elbow and some very minor rash on my left arm.

The Good:
    Nobody else was hurt
    I'm okay so far unless new pains surface over the next few days
    Bikes can be replaced (Time for a Triumph insurance upgrade)
    Egos will heal
    My friends took care of business while I was in the ambulance
    My gear packing was still perfectly in place on the bike after the accident - Kudos to me on that!
    All the friends/family who have reached out

The Bad:
    The bike is totaled
    No camping or rum
    I plan to ride again but find myself questioning my skill
    Feeling bummed and embarrassed

Lessons to Always Remember:
    1) It doesn't matter how safe you drive. That's only 50% of the equation.

2) I've been reading books ever since I got my license on how to ride proficiently/how to react in bad situations. I think this saved me. My assessment and execution felt instinctual. Always try to play these scenarios out in your imagination in case one day you have to react.

3) My boots probably saved my ankle

4) Helmets are good - If you get in an accident and didn't have a helmet because of pride and suffer long-term trauma - Was it worth not wearing the helmet? Wear the helmet and if you lose the battle you still have a chance to win the war.

5) Try to wear some protection, even if it's just a good set of denim, sturdy footwear, and helmet.

6) This is part of the risk you accept when you decide to ride so don't blame others even when it's their fault. Accidents happen. Especially today in the smart phone driving distracted roadway war zone. You have to be the best you can be while riding; seasoned, aware, prepared, and protected

Any thoughts? I probably will have more as I digest last nights incident. Hopefully, insurance moves quick and maybe I'll get lucky and have a new bike before the season is up.

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

2. SethAddington

Jun 29, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you. Im probably going with a new bonneville speedmaster. Love that bike and the setup is good posture on my back. It’s like riding a luxury lazy-boy recliner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SethAddington

Jun 29, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you! Yes, I’m lucky. Hoping for the best with the insurance claim. Thanks again!

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Glad to hear you're ok, as you say you can replace the bike via the insurance.

My only suggestion would be to take an advanced riding course, probably wouldn't have changed the outcome of this one but any extra help is a good thing.

5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    nasty gash there but it'll heal main thing is your back wasn't damaged again :) hope the insurance gets sorted and back on the road soon that's the best medicine

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:( Bloody hell mate bad luck not getting to drink that rum:sob:
    Get your mates to tell you how nice it was :p

Seriously though mate glad you got through without hurting your back again and the wounds you suffered will heal
    Hopefully everything works out well for you and if you get your backside onto a new Speedmaster :eek: well they do say every cloud has a silver lining :p

7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Get well soon, Seth. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was .... bad enough though!
    Good luck with the insurance - you may well need it!

8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sorry to hear. Sounds like you'll be sorted on the insurance with the old folks admitting fault and cops on the scene.

Had similar last year, but no cops and the cunt blamed me as no witnesses.

Bikes can be replaced and drugs dull the pain (your paying, get the good stuff), but your still here.

Just cos you have right of way, or lights green, the bastards can still get you. Always check left and right at crossroads, even if the lights are with you.

Get a new bike, and chalk this down as experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad your injuries weren't worse. It's a good reminder for all of us. Mr. O. got it right above. You have to watch out for everyone else on the road and adjust your speed and travel until you're certain that they see you. You also need to constantly move your head and make sure your peripheral vision isn't blocked by your gear. I noticed you didn't mention a jacket with back, elbow and shoulder armor. Considering your surgery, you might want to add that to your gear.

There was some interesting research about motorcycles a few years ago. The bottom line is that car drivers don't perceive us as a 'threat' to their safety. If you were in a tractor-trailer, they probably would have seen you and stopped. It's genetically coded - a Woolly Mastodon is dangerous to your health, but a squirrel isn't. Of course, the squirrel can destroy the cables and wires on your bike. :worried: I hope your friends buy you another bottle of rum!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Glad your OK mate
    Tucker

11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I missed this thread.

Time travelled back to tell you" Theres a guy near you got a black Speedmaster, 4000 miles, for sale, and you will buy it, good luck"

• Funny Funny x 3