Crosspost: Check Your Frames For Cracks!

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by MrSmo, Jun 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrSmo

MrSmo New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    England
    If you own a 2013-2017 Street Triple or Daytona, check your engine mount bolt torque and frame welds! This may also affect ANY Triumph motorcycle with this frame installed.

Hi all - I wanted to bring an issue to your attention which is serious and unfortunately is being dismissed by Triumph.

I own a 2013 Street Triple R. I bought it brand new from a Triumph dealership. It's covered ~19,500 miles and has full service history, all undertaken by the same dealer. The most recent service was on September 30th 2019 @ ~19,200 miles. A few weeks ago I was cleaning my bike and found this;

20200405_134958.jpg

Check your bikes - who knows what could happen to you if these welds snap while you're riding!

The issue appears to be that the engine mount bolt has come loose (you can see that it is sagging) which has put undue stress on the frame, causing a crack down the middle of the weld.

If your bike uses this same frame check that your engine mount bolts are torqued to spec or this could happen to your bike as well.

Here's the part which really disappoints me that everyone needs to know about.

I reached out to Triumph and their response was dismissive and inadequate. I was told that it's 'not a known issue' and that 'they're not concerned with it' - denying me a repair or replacement of any kind;

Here are more examples of this 'unknown issue';

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here is proof that the issue is known and has been previously addressed.

Someone reached out to me who had reported the same problem. Triumph repaired his bike in 2018. He even deliberately draws attention to the bolts;

5.jpg

6.jpg

So we know that this issue is happening to people, we know what causes it and we know that Triumph is aware of it. However, this is the annual checklist that was used to service my bike in September 2019;

EZGqjcJXsAAKLIV.jpg

EZGqkLmWsAAbL3A (1).jpg

At no point on this list is the technician instructed to check the torque on the engine bolts. The closest 'arguably related' check is 'Fasteners - inspect visually for security' which is clearly inadequate and will not prevent this problem affecting other motorcycles. At the time this check was carried out Triumph have known that this happens for at the very least 14 months, yet haven't amended their service sheets.

I was turned away for a repair when a structural, non-consumable part of my motorcycle failed catastrophically due to a flaw that was outside of my control, not checked by Triumph dealerships and not present on Triumph's own service sheets.

Triumph may 'not be concerned' but I definitely am, so please; Check. Your. Bolts.