Tiger 1050 Croatian Dreams (clutch Overhaul)

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by DanielB, May 29, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Especially if any show signs of discolouration i.e. overheated steel plates due to lack of oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    At a cursory glance all of your measurements seem to be well within the service limits. The cause of the clutch dragging is clearly because it was dry and I would have thought that all that was needed was a good clean of all components and a damn good soaking of the friction plates in the motorcycle oil that you use. Also as the clutch was not slipping there is nothing to suggest that the springs need replacing. It's your call if you feel happier with replacements, but overall the clutch doesn't look bad to me. Why was it so dry though, that is the question?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    #23 DanielB, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    continued thanks - much appreciated all round.

I have just ordered some new friction plates (EBC) and corresponding springs...

(FWIW it seems EBC is struggling to fulfil orders as these were "out of stock" almost everywhere)!

I would of course bow to your experience in these matters, but to my mind - and I am happy to be educated - it seems that the friction discs - the actual pads, are hard material and certainly "look" different to the EBC ones ordered/seen when I have been researching.

It is true that clutch slip was not the issue - which does suggest things from that POV may be "OK"; but I am wondering if replacements - so I know for sure it is done - will eradicate the clutch sticking issue I experience... - which of course is the whole problem I am trying to rectify?

Yes, pounds in 100's are certainly hard to come by...but I think it may be worth scrabbling £100 together for the plates and springs to have this done on my watch, and the knowledge of it having been done. As opposed to a clean up and re-oil... I don't really want to have to take it all apart again if it is still an issue afterwards - and knowing my luck I'd destroy the new gaskets in the process!

I do agree that the question is "why is everything so dry" in the first place...

I am aware of the possible upgrade to the clutch pin - that has oil flow flutes in it (for £45!) but then I am also wondering if the dryness is simply down to previously poor maintenance, and once the discs failed to separate correctly once...it then became a deteriorating situation? In my head at least...keeping on top of that now and with new plates, will mean that they separate as they should in use, and so oil can now get in between as needed and as normal?

Does that sound fair...or am I being over optimistic!? (which is rare, as I am in fact an experienced optimist - ie, a pessimist, by nature :no_mouth:).

With regards the steel drive plates - yes...I will certainly be checking those for warping as part of this overhaul...I am just waiting for my brand new feeler gauges to arrive :D

Thumbs up and thumbs down for all of the above are sincerely welcome! If I am going wrong, please tell me!!

cheers all.

** edit** just looked through the service history and chat that came with the bike, and there is no evidence of the clutch ever having been done, which correlates with what, appears to me at least, the slight aluminium oxidisation, state of the gaskets etc...so it may all be original?

4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    You can't go wrong with new parts. You are clearly doing a thorough job :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Is the clutch pin surface hardened?
    Test carefully with a file.
    If not then anyone with a lathe could put a coarse spiral on for you which is what I would have done. No need to spend £45 if right material condition and a machine shop would help you.

It doesn't have to be a "Triumph" spiral :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    As posted elsewhere...removing the old gasket material has been a bit of a ball ache...but all done now!

Just need the friction plates to arrive and I'm ready to rebuild!

IMG_20220622_194856.jpg

IMG_20220622_194140.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    All done!

Torqued up, cable adjusted and test ridden.

Now that's what a smooth gear change feel likes!

Now I just have to get out and ride and try and fall in love with this bike!

Thanks for all help and advice etc.

IMG_20220626_151753.jpg

IMG_20220626_170911.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Make sure there is a couple of millimetres of free play at the lever so the system can unload ;)
    All sounds good :)

9. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks @Eldon . It did actually take a fair bit of adjusting...there was a fair bit of drag to adjust out, but all seems ok for now.

Infact, the gear changes are super smooth. Buttery smooth I'd say! Neutral is still a bit hit and miss...but I think that's "just the bike". I'd certainly say that the sticky gear change issue has been sorted by this clutch pack replacement!

I'm very pleased...it's been a worthy journey, and another "oh my god how do you do that" job confronted, dealt with, and can move on!

I think I have done pretty much everything, in some way or another between this and my previous bike (Speed Triple)... Just "engines" left to do now...but I'll leave that we'll alone, as it is a whole new science o_O.

For now I am eager to simply ride...and finally get to know this bike!

• Like Like x 2