Corrosion

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by newT120, Feb 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    I know there have been some postings on here about spoke corrosion, but has anyone seen corrosion appearing elsewhere (apart from the throttle body covers) ?
    I put my T120 in the garage about 3 weeks ago - when |I wheeled it out today to give it a look over, polish etc. I noticed rust on the front discs, paint flaking off both crankcases and furring on the mudguard stay.
    I expect I'll be able to remove the rust on the discs with a toothbrush and Solvol, but the cases I'm not so sure.
    I'll take it to the dealer to see if there is a warranty claim, but won't hold my breath.
    Bike's only done 2600 miles (my last 3 bikes were 2 x Hondas and a beemer and none of them had any corrosion after 40,000 miles each...).
    This isn't what I expected.

2. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I'm one of the rusty spoke owners and have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed with the poor quality manufacturing on many parts of the T120. I wouldn't stress too much about rust on the discs. Your other problems however, are indicative of the apparent lack of any meaningful quality management in the manfacture of the T120. Profit first - screw the customer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

That is really a shame to hear, be well Pissed off if my new bike was rusty so soon.
    Would have thought they could have stretched to stainless spokes!!! :(I

• Like Like x 1
  4. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    I'm another rusty spoke owner but the dealer did replace the wheel under warranty so will be treating it (and the rest of the bike) with that ACF50 stuff from now on.
    Check the tops of your rear shock bodies as well. Spots of rust are appearing there as well on mine (was new last August).

• Like Like x 1
  5. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland

If you haven't already seen this it's worth a look. As I would have expected the top 4 for reliability are the Japanese. No real surprise to me that Triumph are closer to the bottom than the top.

http://www.visordown.com/features/who-makes-most-reliable-motorcycles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

ALL companies!!!
    Make as cheap as possible, then sell for what the market will pay, selling price and production costs have feck all to do with each other!!! :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Couldn't have expressed it better myself Ron !!!! That's the reason why, in general, mass-produced goods are cheaper in America - the market just won't stand to be ripped off !!!

8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The accountant would want to see £250 back on the extra £50 spent!
    So on the shop floor it would mean a £300 increase in price!!!!
    And I'm not kidding you on that!

9. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Maybe if it hurts Triumph where it really counts I.E.. the bottom line they'll do something about it? Had I been completely happy with the T120 I would have considered another Triumph in the future but given my experience and what I hear from others that's never going to happen.
    I maintain my bikes to a very high degree and that very much includes cleaning but if the T120 is only a dry weather bike then what's the point in the UK?

Other cheap shit features (that I've noticed) include clocks that don't fit in the rubber mountings and rattle about and a seat that has so much movement on it's mountings I keep thinking it's not on correctly. Basic things that they just shouldn't be screwing up!

• Like Like x 2
  10. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Stainless would possibly be the way to go but if the chrome plating had been done correctly we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. Like I said in another thread my 1977 Suzuki's chrome rims and zinc plated spokes have no corrosion.

• Like Like x 3
  11. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Agree about stainless fixings that's what I would use as a matter of course when I'm doing a rebuild.
    Old Git you seem to really have a bad one....I keep looking at mine and none of your problems are apparent and I've had mine since May.(other than the freak paint issue on the tank I mentioned elsewhere that was sorted very quickly)
    Likewise there not been one Bonnie Thruxton etc brought back into Newcastle Triumph where my lad works for corrosion problems, bad finishes or similar so what's going on ?????

12. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Since I've cleaned up the spokes the bike hasn't moved due to lousy weather though it has to be said it hasn't stopped me using my FJR1300. Anyone looking at the bike would think "what's the problem" as it still looks in showroom condition but I know that unless I really keep on top of the wheels they will deteriorate quickly. The badly fitting seat and clocks only make what is a really good bike seem a bit cheap and nasty. Only time will tell if there have been any other corners cut on quality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    First nice weekend so decided to dig the bike out for the first blast of the year.

500 miles on mine, never seen rain, but rusting on the spokes, the crank case covers are showing signs of pitting as are the throttle body covers plus some dodgy looking surface marks on the downpipes

Not a happy bunny at all today, how have the rest of you approached this with the dealers and/or Triumph direct?

Thanks

14. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    Tell me about it, I'm gutted

15. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I gave up with dealer and Triumph and got rid of the pile of crap

16. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Hurray !
    I've just had a lovely rust free 180 mile run in the borders on my 'heap of crap'

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    The wheels on the Thunderbird look awful after winter. So I've ordered some Mothers. Trying to think after they are nice and shiny how best to protect them.
    Pity Triumph don't do more to protect the finish .....

18. Ian anderson

Ian anderson New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    scotland
    Hi corrosion is always a battle with bikes if you use them regularly does not matter if it a jap bike or a harley. This is the first triumph I have it a 2011 and it had a few rusty bits which I have addressed either by changing rusty bolts or screws with stainless and any paintwork just rubed down primed and sprayed. Only bit I have to address is the oil pipe underneath . I don't think this triumph bonneville is any worse for rust than other bikes I have had.

• Like Like x 3
  19. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Agree with that, the wheels on the TBird seem to be easily oxidised so it's just how to protect / reduce the problem.
    Typical of aluminium wheels I suspect, I'm sure Harley or any other manufacturer that uses aluminium wheels will be no better.

20. Ian anderson

Ian anderson New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    scotland
    Hi alloy has it good and bad points looks great when new and has its lacauer on it then the air gets in and you get your oxidised bits then you either live with it or you strip the lacquer off and spend the rest of your life polishing it or clean it up and apply lacquer again.

• Like Like x 1