Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    That looks like a vision of hell.........

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It really kinda does, doesn't it? :(:imp:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

They’re not partying, they’re making soup!

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    As long as it's not Brown Winsor :D

• Funny Funny x 9
  5. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Just so folk can see how things currently stand (anyone who reads this thread regularly will understand my concerns over an overloaded NHS at the peak of the infection bell curve) Our “hospitals trust” has announced today that we have currently NO confirmed COVID-19 cases on any of our sites. We had 172 deaths (upto this point) directly attributable to CV19 & 404 x CV19 discharges since 1st March. (We are a relatively small trust spread out over a large rural area with a few towns in our catchment)
    Our normal ICU capacity was roughly 14 beds (With a couple more “over-spill” potential for emergency situations)
    Staff I know have suffered, one is at home in a wheelchair on O2, I know one who died... there are more staff that I don’t know still off work with residual effects (mental and physical).
    BUT... we’re regrouping and slowly getting our services back on line, clinics are being reworked (telephone and video instead of face to face etc) and we’re becoming a health service again instead of an emergency service. It’s going to be a long road... 5 month of lost “normal activity” to try and make up... but we’ll get there.

• Love You Love You x 11
    • Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Not only did you guy’s do a fantastic job during the past 5 months, you continue to do it. We must not forget that continued commitment.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Top job you Guy's and Gal's did, here's hoping no second wave materialises over the winter

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • WTF WTF x 1
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Just for info.........wife had swab test a month ago or so which showed positive. More recently, due to a new role within the NHS, she has just received today test results for antibody test.....which showed positive. This confirms our suspicions that we all had Covid 19 in mid March. Now we know she has had it and has antibodies, I'm going to let her sleep indoors again.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I found this disheartening but unfortunately not altogether surprising since COVID is more flu-like than a disease like smallpox from my understanding.

I found the graph about rising rates per 100,000 in Spain, France, the UK, Germany, and Italy interesting. If I'm reading the graph correctly, Spain looks horrific at what estimates to be 80-85 cases per 100,000. To put it in perspective, check out these graphs. "Lucky" Mr. Sandi and me--our state of Arizona is high on the U.S. list. :(:mad::sob: 2,697 per 100,000 according to statista and 2,705 as reported in the NY Times. We live in Pima County which has a rate of "only" 1,926 / 100,000. Yikes. :scream: Maybe we should move to Spain. Or the UK. ;) Fortunately and thankfully, our total number of daily cases is (finally) starting to go down at least.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 11.06.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 11.14.36 AM.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I thought Ted Nugent was a twat when I saw him live at Reading Festival in 1976! :D:D

14. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    @Sandi. That's a case rate of 2.7%, of which 10% likely to become severe and 10% of those die. These figures are improving all the time. You don't need to move anywhere......just keep observing the oft stated rules......keep your distance, wash your hands, wear your mask when in public. The number of cases will go up as they are testing more people each day. The media are having a field day at your expense......

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    In that case, based on comparative stats I'm seeing from other countries, it would seem that no place else on the planet has anything to worry about! ;):) Re. more testing, I've been following the positivity rate changes as more people are tested. People around where I live have until recently had to be on death's door to get a COVID test. Geez, at that point, why bother? Of course positivity will be high under those circumstances. But as testing is more widespread and people who are asymptomatic can elect to be tested, it seems to me that the positivity rate is at least somewhat more meaningful. Testing everyone or testing true random samples at appropriate power would be the most helpful of all but I don't see that ever happening here. Thanks for your input, Thripster.

But, hey, what if I WANT to move somewhere!? :joy: August was our hottest month on record with nearly every day exceeding 105ºF. :sun::sun::sun::cool: I do have to say I'm quite used to it now and have acclimated nicely. But I have had lots of practice. ;) Today I went for a ride at noon and the temp was 97ºF and it felt quite balmy. :)

image.png

• Like Like x 5
  16. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    @Sandi. So sorry, yes you must move wherever you wish. Southern hemisphere would be my bet in the short term.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    #1837 Thripster, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Headline in the Private Eye (28th August - 10 September 2020 issue). . Page 7 in highlighted box entitled number crunching: '62.4 Coronavirus deaths per 100,000 population in the UK, also the biggest of any G7 nation.'
    Firstly, (same caveats apply as previously regarding the difficulties by those that have suffered/treated the disease) that figure is tiny being 0.0624%.
    Secondly, the UK has been including deaths of people that have died with Coronavirus and not necessarily died of Coronavirus - each country uses differing criteria for recording deaths and so to claim that it is 'also the biggest of any G7 nation.' shows an incompetent grasp of the responsible use of statistics and/or blatant political mischief.

By comparison:-

In 2014/2015 there were 34,300 deaths attributable to influenza. Population of 65 million. That is a death rate of 0.0528%.
    In 2016/2017 there were 17,592 deaths attributable to influenza. Population of 66 million. That is a death rate of 0.0272%.

You can draw your own conclusions. Let us hope that there is not a winter surge or a mutation which causes the Coronavirus rates to increase significantly.

Source of data:-

Surveillance of influenza and other
    respiratory viruses in the UK:
    Winter 2017 to 2018 (Public Health England).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...espiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2017_to_2018.pdf

18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thripster, would you please clarify when you say 2014/2015 and 2016/2017, does that mean data for all of 2014 and 2015 combined and 2016 and 2017 combined? Is it whatever is considered "flu season"? If so, what is that timeframe? I find that confusing. My understanding is that Covid data it is from 2020 only so it this point it covers about eight months. I'm not sure the comparison is apples to apples.

19. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Hi Sandi. Thanks for your interest. 2014 to 2015 represents a year's worth of data. Similarly for 2016/2017. It just so happens that the data is collected either side of year end/beginning. I chose to give a couple of illustrations to show best and worse cases. All the data is available by using the link provided. The key point, rather than get too absorbed in minutiae, is that deaths due to Coronavirus in terms of numbers is small. No disrespect to those who have suffered from it or who are dealing with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Generally found PE very good over recent months; MD's reporting has been very good I felt - critical of the Govt when they deserved it, but also acknowledging their rare successes.

Surprised they are still using that figure as it was recalculated a few weeks ago to actually reflect reality better - for example, the Economist is using much better data now.

But hey, I've long since ceased being surprised by shoddy journalism!

DS

• Agree Agree x 3