Coolant Level Rising When Checking

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robert Summerfield, Mar 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Summerfield

Robert Summerfield Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2021
    Somewhere on planet earth
    Have flushed and replaced my coolant. The Haynes manual says, once refilled, ride the bike, wait for it to cool then check the level at the radiator filler cap (any air will find its way to the top of the radiator). When I remove the cap to check the level (cold engine) the level starts to rise and then overflows. I have the reservoir filled to the max line (not above). The temperature guage is reading around 5/6 bars while riding (the same as before the change). I'm checking the level on level ground with the bike upright (not on the side stand). Is this normal?

2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Pretty much I think. Due to air in the system. It needs to fart. Run it around a few more times, you will eventually get rid of the air but keep your eye on the coolant level.

3. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Is there a large plastic coolant reservoir with a filler cap ?

4. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Yes, under the seat, it's on the max level. If there's an air bubble in the system will it work its way into the reservoir (the level in the reservoir will drop) or do I need to keep checking via the radiator filler cap?

5. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I would always use the reservoir. If you compare the hight of the reservoir and the radiator, which is higher ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Reservoir is higher

7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    This is definitely the reason why the level is rising if you're checking at the rad cap, basically the expansion tank is there to keep the rad topped up and prevent rust in the system by stopping air entering as the coolant cools and contracts, so the expansion tank is just somewhere for the expanded hot liquid to go when the system is hot and prevent air entering the system as it cools.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have same issue on my Speed Triple
    All you need to worry about is getting the air out of the system
    I lift the front of the bike up, fill the radiator to the top and start the bike.
    As the pump pushes the coolant through the system, I squeeze the pipes and top up as necessary
    The level will rise as it heats up, at the point the coolant is as high as it should be I put the cap back on and turn the bike off
    Lower the bike so it is on two wheels again and then top up the expansion tank if needed

• Like Like x 1