675 coolant leak help!!

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Dave_m141, Oct 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Can I use my old model Optimate (old white plug model) through the worst of the winter or do I need the latest version

2. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    That's a good idea. I never actually thought of that. I will do that I think . Check all the volts

3. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    Hi guys. Ended up taking bike to shop. They have basically told me it's the head gasket but unsure if it will be just the gasket or the things around it will needed to be machined or something. Or possibly a whole new engine (second hand one) quoted me between 500 and 700 quid.

They have checked the thermostat. Isn't that.

Does this sound right to you or am I in my right to take it elsewhere for anther opinion ? The shop is quite well known and respected but because ive not been there before , I'm a bit skeptical . ??

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Always a hard one having to put your trust in others and how good they are at diagnosing problems. Hope you get it sorted.

5. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    Yeah I know. I think I might get a second opinion as it is a lot of money for it..

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If the head gasket has blown, it is possible to do a number of diagnostic tests to verify the suggestion.

It may be useful to understand a little more about head gaskets and how they blow. If they blow between the combustion chamber (in the head) and one of the coolant waterways this will allow combustion gases to enter the coolant and therefore the header tank. Using a kit bought off ebay you can check to see if there truly is a leak in the headgasket by using one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-B...hash=item4ac0197369:m:mb7oIpjoGAnsajYxGtmvCkQ

Alternatively the gasket can blow and allow coolant through into the cylinder. To test for this you will probably need a garage with an exhaust gas analyser, which measure the exhaust gases and can identify if there are any traces of coolant in them.

Before you spend big money, a better, more fact-based diagnosis needs to take place imo.

7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Another problem that has not been addressed is the fact that the rad overflow pipe still leeks and when the systems coolant expands and goes into the expansion bottle because there is no vacuum as the engine cooles it won't pull the coolant back into the cooling system from the bottle and so a never ending circle of water out but none back in starts, so it could be that the head gasket is in fact ok

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    Yeah I have researched a bit into how it all works now. And also that's a fair point about the broken seal. They said that in theory it shouldn't make a difference as it shouldn't really be coming past the cap to the overflow pipe so I think it's too big a job for me. Getting a second opinion tomorrow about it and thesee guys will have a proper look unlike the last one who just assumed .

• Like Like x 1
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Good luck and i hope that if there is a problem these guys will be able to diagnose and carry out the repair correctly rather that just dump another secondhand engine in.

10. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    Took it down today, already the vibe feel's better. There a lot more professional so hoping to get to the bottom of it now.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    Update: it's the radiator. It's corroded quite bad and the broken outlet which we have already identified as an issue is causing a problem . So new radiator and new hoses. So not the gasket at all ! Happy to get a second opinion .

• Like Like x 2
  12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Great News, and much better news on the pocket !!! Big plus is it now makes
    buying that radiator and hoses a little easier to do now :D:cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    May I suggest something. Use the opportunity to get some nice hoses...look for Samco, you can get colour matching ones for your bike if you are that way inclined!

Link to Samco hoses at racebikebitz.com
    This link is for your 09 Street Triple.
    Cost is north of £174 for all hoses

14. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    That's a bloody good idea. I never thought of it :)

15. Dave_m141

Dave_m141 New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    essex
    Are radiator guards easy to fit ? Don't want the chance of any damage to it!

16. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    A quality made one should be ok, evotech are the best but i don't bother with them myself.