675 Coolant Leak / Help

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Michael675r, Jan 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael675r

Michael675r New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Cardiff
    Happy new year all!

I have a 2016 street triple R and it's been a blast so far. However, I've noticed two leaks, the first time looked like oil (this was after a service, about two months ago, I assumed they may have over-filled slightly and I kept my eye on it all good). The second time about half hour ago, I parked it on my drive and it farted out a nice bit of coolant (about 20-30ml I estimate). I gave a quick look and now I'm worried because there seem to be 3 exposed pipes and I'm not entirely sure whats happened here. I know there is supposed to be an overflow, but I'm uncertain about the other two and pooing my pants a little bit.

If anyone could shed some light it would be a huge help, the manual doesn't seem to have a breakdown of the underside where I took the pic. Please excuse the dirt, I just came back from a ride. :D

Cheers,
    Mike

IMG_20200101_134944.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Thats not a leak its a system working as it should.Happy New year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    One of those pipes will be from the fuel filler neck, one from the airbox and the other from the coolant system I THINK, don’t quote me, I had a Speed triple , not a 675 but most bikes have a similar set up. I agree with what DD has said, should be ok.

Oh, and there’s more than one rides worth of muck on there fella:D
    Welcome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Michael675r

Michael675r New Member

Jan 1, 2020
    Cardiff
    Thank you all for the replies, going to sleep a bit easier now :laughing:

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome. Hopefully I learn a bit more about my bike along the way!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Micheal675r
    Yes the peeps have answered your question. The one with the coolant will sweat a little and if the expansion chamber is very full it will lose a little or expel the overflow. The other two are just breathers.. Welcome to the family by the way. And do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and let the inmates see the steed.
    Happy new Year and sleep tight.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    One pipe leads to your coolant expansion tank as an overflow, if it's chucked out a lot, check the coolant in the expansion tank, if low, top it up. Then check the level in the radiator, if the filler cap has failed, the coolant gets too hot, boils and expands and gets spat out of the overflow tube...but air may get into the radiyso it is important to check there too

The other pipes leads to the fuel tank, one is an overflow for when you squeeze that last drop in, then you close the cap and the excess dribbles out the overflow
    The last pipe also leads to the tank but as a breather, to replace air in the tank as fuel gets used. If your bike starts spluttering and stalling and you suspect fuel starvation, the expansion pipe is the one to check in case it has got pinched after working on the bike or dirt has got inside and blocked it

• Like Like x 1