Coolant Capacity Sprint Gt 1050

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Our Gee, Nov 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    I realise that this has been covered before so please excuse is this is going over old ground. I have just completed a Coolant change on my Sprint GT. Prior to filling with new Coolant I removed the Radiator "Vent" screw. I them slowly added Coolant via the Radiator filler cap. After about 1/2 to 3/4 of a litre Coolant began to flow from the Cylinder Block drain hole at which time I replaced the drain screw. I continued filling until the Radiator was full with Coolant flowing from the Radiator Vent hole. The Vent Screw was then replaced. I shook the bike from side to side as best I could and squeezed the Coolant hoses. A few bubbles did escape from the Radiator filler hole. I added Coolant to the Expansion Tank max line. All of this has only used 2 Litres of Coolant. As posted before the Haynes Manual gives a capacity of 2.8 Litres !!. My Triumph Owners Handbook says 2.3 Litres. I ran the engine until the Fan cut in. After cooling down the level in the Radiator is full to the top.
    Is it possible that I have trapped air which is why I can't get the extra 0.3 of a litre in ?
    Any help and advice much appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Did you run the engine with the rad cap off? You can then see the flow when the thermostat opens. Failing that, are you certain you fully drained it?

3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Our Gee
    Like Dozers Dad said. It nearly impossible to completely drain a coolant system. I wouldn't worry you are pretty much there.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Try using a leaf blower to get all coolant out.
    Take a look at the following video, and how much coolest comes out with the leaf blower (5:28)

• Like Like x 2