Confused About A1, A2 Licenses And Tests...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cyborgbot, Nov 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

My 19 yr old son is considering doing his bike licence. He is old enough to ride bikes in the A2 category (up to 47 bhp) but hasn’t ridden before.

I understand he has to get his full car licence modified to have a provisional bike licence for A2? He seems to have AM already.

Then he needs to do a CBT.

At that point can he jump onto an A2 bike and then do his theory and module 1 and 2 tests or is he only allowed to ride an A1 (125)?

He’s sort of tempted to do one of those intensive direct A2 courses. I’d like him to be on a leash for a while and get lots of practice.

can anyone advise as I’m puzzled!

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    He will need to do his CBT - everyone has to but that will only allow him to ride a 125cc bike.
    To progress to his A2 licence, he will have to take his theory test first and then book his A2 test. He'll have to ride a 125 until he passes this. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Yes to what @steve lovatt said. My lads in the same position, but seems you don't can take the full test if you are over 24?

Not sure I understand it all either... He says he's going to wait and just sit the final test. I didn't think you could do that!

I passed my test on Valentines day many moons ago. Examiners name was........ Wait for it....... Fullelove!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yep, it is a bit confusing these days. The easiest route to a full licence it seems, is to wait until you’re 24 then you can take the ‘easiest’ route.
    None of it is simple though. Much easier when I did mine.....a few years ago now. ;)

Here’s the long and winding (and complicated) journey to motorcycling nirvana! https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-routes-to-your-motorcycle-licence
    Shame it’s not as intensive/difficult to get a car licence. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The flow chart is quite helpful though (sort of) o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Yes... Sort of.

Am I right in thinking that you can’t ride an A2 on L plates unless with an instructor or doing your test?

You can only ride a 125 with a provisional license (if old enough)?

Bloody complicated isn’t it! I’m surprised anyone bothers with getting a bike now.

7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, you would have to pass the A2 test to be able to ride an A2 bike. You can't ride around on L plates (unless with an instructor). You can only ride a 125 on L plates.

8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Yes mate, until a test is completed then 125 on L plates. Once his A2 is completed then he can ride any bike less than 35kW :cool::cool:

9. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #9 MadMrB, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    That brings back memories. On my test (in 1985) the examiner told me a route to follow, which was promptly forgotten within a 100 yards or so of leaving him, so I improvised :), and then on the emergency stop I locked up the back wheel...but I still managed to pass :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    thankfully passed my bike test in 1980....but only did the car test 10 years back so made me do the theory, but not difficult and otherwise fairly straight forward.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    thankfully passed my bike test in 1980....but only did the car test 10 years back so made me do the theory, but not difficult and otherwise fairly straight forward.

The modern bike testing system seems incredibly convoluted and costly, I wonder why!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Couldn't agree more!

Kind of the govts point, I'm thinking...... Rebel!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    As I came late to biking at the age of 55, I had to do the CBT and then chose to ride around on a 125 for a year, covering about 5500 miles to get a feel for it. Being an old git, I could then go straight for the full licence after I took the theory test. (you can practice the theory test online for free).
    This is another guide to the A2 licence I found, which might be useful. :cool:

https://bikerrated.com/bikes/licence/a2-motorcycle-licence/

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    This is fascinating. I had no idea it was so involved to get your mc license. Maybe we in the states should be a little more like this. I remember when we added this as an endorsement, that under the law, I had previously registered bikes so I was grandfathered. No test of any kind, written or otherwise. That was quite a number of years ago.

• Like Like x 3
  15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It was very lax here at one time. The test barely lasted 20 minutes and as someone alluded to, provided that you didn't run the examiner over, you passed! Off you went - first bike a Norton Commando! (I know two people who did).
    The CBT and the stepped, age related licence system was brought in to cut the number of motorcycle deaths, especially among teenagers.

16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes it is right Jez, CBT only lasts for 2 years and then you have to take it again or pass one of the tests.

17. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    The way I see it is:
    When learning to drive a car you must have a provisional licence and must be accompanied by a full car licence holder whenever you drive. Obviously you can't be accompanied when learning to ride a bike, so the CBT is to ensure you have basic competence and allows access to learn to ride and prepare to take the full bike test. The 2 year limit is to ensure that riders that may not have progressed beyond a basic proficiency cannot continue to ride, regardless of the size of bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I agree with you DD, and I'm not suggesting that the current system is ideal. You can take an intensive course and within days get direct access to large capacity bikes without having hardly any real riding experience. However there does need to be at least some form of test to ensure that a leaner rider has reached some form of competency, unfortunately for some time alone may not be enough....remember Maureen from Driving School :cold_sweat:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Also, just because they passed their CBT 2 years ago doesn't necessarily mean they have ridden a motorbike since :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I taught a lady last week who was re-doing her CBT after 2 years of riding a 125 scooter once a week or so. She was a car driver so rode/wobbled along at first close to the centre line (because that's where you sit in a car), even with oncoming HGV's! She couldn't do any of the figure of 8s or U-turns, lean the bike or turn her head. She kept looking at the bit she didn't want to crash into so went straight towards it!

So clearly had not been taught how to ride 2 years ago. Not all CBTs are equal.