Commuter Rants & Obs'

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gazzatheyid, Aug 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    This is why I love Australia! The drive through off licenses sold it to me before taking in to account the people and weather!

On the lorry issue, an actual EU law that makes sense (I know!) apparently restricts there speed or lane to ensure the flow of traffic.
    What about all the lost business hours to those affected by there thoughtless overtaking? Not every business is lorry based.

2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    When I started riding, I didn’t think European cars had indicators, then we had those who indicated using the wrong one (watch for hats or gloves) and the car who turn like articulated lorries.
    With many more people on the road now and more congestion, I see the driving habits of their personalities. Most people are courteous and ‘try’ to drive with the rules of the road, but more and more are oblivious to anyone else and self absorbed in getting somewhere quick.
    I try to not be like cage drivers, but filter when appropriate and always have daylights and approach to give them time to react appropriately.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Cheers I did some reading up on this prior to my commute and makes sense in the real world.

I also tend not to filter over 50 e.g. advisory is 60 traffic doing 40. But if the traffic is say doing 20 and advisory is 30 or higher I will.

As stated above it's seeing the gaps that drivers (mainly idiots IMHO) dive in to without indication to gain 10 yards of motorway and preparing yourself.

4. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    I do think more guidance is needed when you are doing a test training course. Motorcycling is a different animal to car driving.

Most courses will take you out on the back roads to nowhere, teaching you the basics of handling the motorcycle and cornering etc to pass a basic test. Testing an emergency stop on a school playground and going round cones doesn't translate to real world. I don't remember any real world tips on motorway riding, filtering etc etc

If your decision making in real life commuting i.e the motorway is not right you're risking your life on every ride.

Yes I appreciate there are advanced courses. These can be intimidating for some and expensive. Mandatory courses covering more real life scenarios could be life saving.

5. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Aside from Roadcraft type training which I'm doing, I've just come across https://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

Learning how to stop quickly seems a great idea as does learning to brake in a bend. I like the look of the hands-off the bars skills too in Machine Comtrol courses 1 & 2.

And he uses a Triumph. I'm going to do it. Not sure I need a knee down in the 3rd course though. Maybe one day.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    My rant bearing in mind I ride bikes and drive a 4x4 pick up..
    Twats in lorries on dual carriageways overtaking other lorries :mad:
    Twats in cars trucks vans and whatever blocking lanes 2&3 when they’re not passing anything :mad:
    Twats on bikes on either main beam or additional lights blinding you as they approach :mad::confused:
    And another bike one Twats continuing to pass you when you’re halfway between lanes whilst indicating :mad::mad::confused:.

So in conclusion we as bikers and car van lorry drivers are all TWATS no one is innocent :eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek:I’m not a TWAT :mad:

I’m very very nice :kissing_heart:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #28 Glyn Phillips, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    If you’re guilty of any of the above, I’m just saying you’re a twat. If you’re not guilty you’re not a twat
    I on the other hand am a perfect motorcyclist and drinker sorry driver :kissing_heart:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Haha the only issue I have is indication isn't necessarily a given to pull out. Never pull out in front of a bike is the unofficial rule. Even my Mrs agrees!

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It’s not pulling out it’s as your halfway between lanes in slow traffic and the twats toot as if you’re in the wrong, they weren’t even in sight when the manoeuvre started..
    Honestly i really feel like taking them out:mad:
    Then I think they are a twat but someone somewhere loves em so I politely lower the window and scream TWAAT:p

11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    :joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    I did a lot of filtering on the A1M and M1 over the weekend, mainly due to 2 very minor accidents and York existing near teatime. First in England for a few years (regular in N.I. for many).
    It is much much better than it used to be - a lot of drivers gave me extra room and, over about 30 miles of filtering, only 2 moved over on me!!!

I would tend to move the bike side to side a little (just wee jiggles) so that the lights catch the eye, without being annoying and think this can help keep you noticed by the very bored sods in the car park

• Like Like x 1
  13. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Digging up an old thread a bit. But had a bit of an argument with the Mrs who disagrees strongly on the filtering (which has resulted in an argument and me watching Traffic Cops upstairs!)

I say 40mph is fine for filtering between moving traffic along as they are not going 25mph or less. She disagrees and says its dangerous as cars can swerve if they see me. She says if a bike filtered past her around 40 she would give them stick. Most of my filtering around that speed is around 5mph faster anyway making slow progress.

Don't talk to me about it again was her answer to the argument :mad: to which I've ended up saying that's her problem and she isn't a biker :p (went down well :joy:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Filtering is fine as fast as you feel is comfortable, I don’t even look at the speed, I just make a judgment on how I feel If it could go wrong I could stop.
    That’s going to be different on what bike you’re riding too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Her point is motorcycle filtering scares drivers which to me means they aren't paying sufficient attention. Or can't drive in a straight line!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    for clarification, not ALL BMW drivers are feck wits... some of us are considerate (usually old cars) but rep filled lease BMWs are straight up c*nts

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #37 Glyn Phillips, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019

• Like Like x 1
  18. tripletrouble59

tripletrouble59 New Member

Oct 16, 2019
    west sussex
    well im a van driver and I 1.always indicate. 2. use mirror signal manoeuvre in that order. 3.give lorries a big gap before pulling back in from an overtake.

• Like Like x 2
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Well done mate, but I think that you and I are unfortunately in the minority. :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. tripletrouble59

tripletrouble59 New Member

Oct 16, 2019
    west sussex
    yes at least we were taught correctly.
    a friend of mine passed his test a few years back and at the time he instructor taught him to only indicate when you pull out but not when you pull back it, that's another annoyance for me on the road.

• Agree Agree x 2