Cold, Wet, Grumpy

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Repooh, Jun 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Having ridden over the long weekend I got soaked, super soaked and drowned

Realising my Oxford Melbourne is shite at (a) keeping water out and (b) letting sweat out

Time to spend a bit more me thinks, so I see Rukka has a good reputation, but at a price, question is do I buy low end Rukka or high end something else

Don't commute, avoid rainy days unless on tour, only tour a few time a year, thinking £450 for a jacket is enough

Recommendations appreciated

2. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    I've heard, in fact I may have even read it here, Army Surplus Gortex jacket & trousers are by far the best bang for buck wet weather protection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thank you sir, Based on my Oxford Melbourne I’m not sure Oxford is good kit, cheap for a reason I guess

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    I ride all year round and tend to stick with Halvarsons or the slightly cheaper Weise gear

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    For me it is not about being cool, it is about it being practical and keeping dry. Bike kit designed for riding for me.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I agree with some of what you say DD, however 'council worker' waterproofs like most 'genuine' biker over suits aren't breathable, so this time of year you end up wet anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Recon a copy Rukka, going by the name Pukka could be in order here, flippin Nora that Klim is super pricey, cant justify that for a few rides, no brainier if you commute

Bin bags or skuba kit it is then, or an F-Type R convertible, only £63,275 short doh

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I bought one and it may say pre owned but they are just about brand new, you won't get a better gore tex jacket than these'
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...hash=item1eeecdcb94:m:m5vmAqNH3C1U2-O-k8eg_Yw
    In three colours green (Army) light blue (RAF) and Navy blue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Merlin, bought one last year riden in allsorts of weather and I cant fault it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I can 100% recommend the Richa Rain Warrior jacket and trousers, they are over kit stuff kept me really dry in torrential rain and fold down really small when you don't need them. As you don't ride in the rain on a regular basis it seems daft to break the bank for an occasional downpour :cool::cool:
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33270

12. The ST

The ST Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    West Midlands UK
    Try this ... 61Cho14TUSL._SY355_.jpg

• Funny Funny x 10
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Best buy I’ve made in recent years was some Daytona Goretex boots.
    Completely waterproof and as comfy as a pair of slippers. They may not be as protective as my Alpinestars Supertechs but they’re much more practical and so much easier to put on. :grinning:
    I’ve also bought some BMW gear, jacket and trousers, which are really good. I think I read somewhere that they’re made by Rukka. Got the jacket on eBay for less than a third of the original price (£640 :eek:) and it was like new.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    When you ride in the UK it is never an occasional downpour. Don’t get me wrong there some really good over kits on the market, but as @littleade said with good quality kit you just don’t need the hassle of having to stop to get into your keep you dry kit....

15. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I was basing it on Repooh's comment Wessa "Don't commute, avoid rainy days unless on tour".
    I clearly live in the UK so fully understand the weather we are affected by, however if you are planning on going out for a ride on a clearish day then it is far more likely to encounter an occasional downpour than torrential rain so doesn't seem worth spending inordinate sums of money for those moments.........just my twopenneth worth ;);)

16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Understood. For me I ride in all weathers so being dry is of real importance to me. Each to their own eh!

17. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I do too but the link wasn't for me, personally I prefer jeans and a jacket so happy to stop if it gets ridiculously wet rather that wear full on waterproof clothing on nice sunny days. But as you say, each to their own :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Dont forget your Dunlop TT 100 wellyboots as well Guaranteed dry feet and they fold up smallish . im no snob :p
    IMG-20190531-WA0010.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    I'm afraid I'm another army surplus champion. Cant beat it. Already sized as oversize so your normal size will go over the top of normal bike gear.
    From the Lake District it rained all day apart from 20 minutes, so hard motorway was restricted to 40mph at Manchester.
    RST boots leaked about Gloucester, Rukka Apollo gloves gave out in the last 10 miles. Rest of me bone dry, even the nether regions!
    My BiL is a year round commuter and since i turned his head he swears by them.
    They also do a good job of cutting out the wind chill in cold weather!
    www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk
    Nothing to do with me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nothing wrong with that if it works for you....

• Like Like x 1
  21. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Not sure it’s me
    7ABC1879-22DB-4F9F-AF54-B96E39F7AE23.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3