Cold Street Triple Cam Chain Noise

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tiner, Jul 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tiner

Tiner New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Spain
    Hi there.

I'm still struggling with this damn noise from the chain. The ones who rattles in every cold starts until the engine becomes a bit warm.

Reading forums here and there decided to replace the OEM tensioner just in case with another OEM brand new one. I read that it could fix the problem for some miles, until the new one became faulty again.

But no success!! Still that damn noise in cold starts.

Checked valve clearances too and they were all at very good values.

What could I do so that I can get rid of that noise from my Street? Its reaaaally annoying and frustrating and overall, frightening.

2. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    It will go. its just waiting for the next segment of the tensioner to engage. some push the tensioner plunger with a screw driver but that is effectively making it too tight.
    Some fit a manual tensioner as from I think Kawasaki race kits but this is bad practice. the idea of the manual tensioner is not to over tighten the cam chain NOT make it tighter

3. Tiner

Tiner New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Spain
    What do you mean with "it will go"?

Do you mean this noise with the stock automatic tensioner is normal?

4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Yes it is very common. the plunger is on a ratchet. eventually in will move and the noise will stop

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tiner

Tiner New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Spain
    But while it rattles I guess it is damaging both the chain and the aluminium from the engine....

Am I right?

6. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    not seen or heard of any yet.

7. Tiner

Tiner New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Spain
    Seen a video from YouTube where the guy shows how the chain was eating the aluminium from the engine.

Not a big deal there, although it wasn't an important part.

• Like Like x 1