Clutch Casing Replacement Now Bike Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Simon Morris, Apr 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Be systematic,please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I would suggest you use the flow chart Jim worked out and rule out things one by one.
    I’ve known optimisers to falsely report the state of the batteryso you do need to be systematic.
    Start by checking how much charge the battery actually has, that would rule out a dead cell if it has the correct charge or not.
    Or even enough charge to turn the bike over

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    snot mine Gary I pinched it.
    Have you check crank position sensor?

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The sidestand switch can get sticky and not open properly. With sidestand up is the plunger freely moving to its fullest extent? Worth lubing anyway with dielectric grease.....

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Absolutely
    - identify by elimination. As my mate Sherlock says, “How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Might be helpful to ignore/eliminate the ignition circuit at this stage (coils, ECU and crank sensor) as the initial problem is getting the starter motor spinning.
    Checked all fuses?
    If you have adequate battery power - as demonstrated by Ranger battery +ve to +ve etc. and you get a click......then we potentially have a starter solenoid to starter motor wiring problem (-ve as well as +ve) or a defective motor.
    I would start with continuity checks from starter relay socket to starter +ve.
    You should see battery voltage motor +ve to frame with starter button depressed. Third hand needed! Let us know outcome

7. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Great believer in KISS - keep it simple stupid.
    Rule out the easy ones first such as battery, fuses etc. If it’s none of those then using a flow chart such as Jim’s knicked one just makes it simplistic and systematic .

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    KISS indeed :worried:

Simon, when you say both relays checked out can you verify which relays and how? Generic or branded relays will cost £3-£10 so a cheap swap out. The headlight relay above the airbox snorkel switches power from headlight to starter circuit so I would be interested to know if depressing the starter button gets a click AND kills the headlight.

9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    When I changed my clutch plates, I remember the starter sprocket coming away with the crankcase and a washer or two
    Are you 100% sure everything went back as normal, that there is no chance a washer has dislodged and could now be jammed between the starter cog?:worried:

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Callumity is right check solenoid next.

11. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have just replaced the battery and still the same. Lights all come on, alarm works, but just a click. Will check fuses and solenoid tm and report.

Thanks again

12. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have just replaced the battery and still the same. Lights all come on, alarm works, but just a click. Will check fuses and solenoid tm and report.

Thanks again

13. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    #53 Simon Morris, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    All fuses OK. Followed manual to test solenoid - disconnect cable from solenoid to starter. reconnect battery. Stop button to run, clutch in press start.....CLICK. Now I’m thinking starter motor? Oh joy have to drain all the new oil again I guess so may as well remove clutch housing and double check I didn’t do anything wrong in there last time?

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sounds like it unfortunately....

Have you checked the block connections in the loom....(under tank and in headlamp shell?)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Hi sprinter. No I haven’t heard of that one. Sounds like a plan considering I remov3d clutch housing etc. Haven’t seen it in the manual but will look again. Cheers

16. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    #56 Simon Morris, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Hi. No I haven’t, will do. Checked every other connector I could find though. Sprinter mentioned the crank position sensor but what I eat online is that is in right side housing which I didn’t touch. Pretty solid component from what I’ve read so doubt that could be the cause. I set out wanting to learn more about my ike and am succeeding at that at least :)

Anymore ideas other than taking out and testing the starter motor please? A friend or a friend said there could be an air lock in the engine oil? I did replace the filer when I drained as it had had one 800 miles ago

17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The CPS is a wee coil housed under the RH triangular engine cover that registers the rotational movement of the end of the crankshaft and fires a signal to the ECU. The ECU then fires the ignition spark.
    To be crystal clear: you energise the ignition circuit when you switch on the ignition. You energise the STARTER CIRCUIT when you press the starter button. They only interact to the extent the CPS triggers the spark timing once the crank is turning. Your STARTER CIRCUIT contains the known problem, not the ignition circuit. For now the CPS is completely irrelevant. If the engine was turning but not starting it might be an issue. Turning first!

Accessing the CPS involves draining some oil, bike on sidestand, cleaning and re-sealing with a new gasket. Unnecessary as you can test its resistance via the lead to the ECU. Save it for another day!

The loom connectors I am talking about are multiplugs.

18. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    Ok. Will do. Will loom connectors to. Many thanks

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Go with Callumity first Im learning too.
    On my 955i the CPS was in the Clutch casing thats why I mentioned it, thats all. Let Callumity guide this thread mate.
    And you sure are learning.:):)

20. Simon Morris

Simon Morris Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Wales
    I'm learning a lot and can now appreciate the bike more having worked on it. Pity it still doesn't run lol. Thank you for your time and expertise though