Clunky Gear Change

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bradders, Aug 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    Hi i have a 09 speedy with no centerstand all the other bikes i have owned
    Had them can i get one or dumb ? Whats my alternative?

2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    This works for me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I fitted one to my 2016 triple,got it from square deals...much better than paddock stands. Best accessory i ever fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    is it easier to change down gear at higher revs and when caning it ? i found this to be the case on my 2011,downchanges were always worse then the smooth up changes, if you blip the throttle just before a downshift i found this really helped much smoother,look at the bolts that hold the bracket that had gear stick assembly onto frame i found mine quite loose and you could move it easily by hand,another final point always keep the bike upright and off the sidestand when not in use helped mine a tad.

5. Katies Grandad

Jun 27, 2017
    St Neots
    Notchiness of the gear change is usually a clutch drag issue which is often an oil issue. I found my 1050 Sprint would get really bad until I took it out and gave it a good thrash to get the oil properly hot. It would then behave ok for a while but gradually get worse again over time. My speed triple is not as bad , maybe because I thrash it more. When changing oil make sure it is good and hot before draining and don't burn your fingers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Yes I changed the oil and made little or no difference silkolene semi synthetic 10/40,just live with it now and it’s only downshifts that are not smooth but blipping throttle and keeping bike upright had biggest influence.

7. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I quite fancy being able to check everything on the centre stand. Might do some cross checking to compare measurements both ways, at least then I start to get to know what's normal and when things change.

8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Try replacing the detent wheel, cured my 675

9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Sorry that may not apply, I thought it was a street triple

10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!