Cleaning Super Gunky Chain Lube

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Jul 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Clever people, lubed my chain over zealously with some shitty super thick and sticky lube whilst on tour. Wheel covered as is chain need to remove as crap travelling 20 miles to stick

Need to clean wheel, chain and every other bit past chain

Recommendations please, chain cleaner, brake cleaner, petrol????

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I use paraffin to clean my chain and the odd bits of lube that have flung off. Works a treat and doesn’t dry out the O rings in the chain. :)
    Brake cleaner is good too, but don’t use it on the chain.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I buy that cheap chain cleaner from Aldi or Lidl when they have it. Great stuff when used in conjunction with the wife's toothbrush. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Toothbrush and diesel is what I use

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I use GT85 or WD40 sprayed on a cloth to clean wheels etc, Wurth brake and chain cleaner and a brush to clean the chain. I also like Wurth dry chain lube, virtually no fly off, and little build up of gunk.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Buy a new motorcycle?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I use the Wurth chain wax and it’s similar to their dry lube in that there‘s virtually no fling.
    I’ve tried loads over the years (including gear oil that a lot recommend) but have found the Wurth products about the best/easiest to use.
    I am quite fastidious about keeping chains looked after and tend to clean them regularly, so don’t get a big build up of muck and old chain lube.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Mr. Sheen or another similar furniture polish.
    SWMBO got some grease on her hands yesterday while we were re-organising the garage - don't ask! Had some Morrisons own furniture polish to hand and one squirt (not me - obviously) of the stuff and a quick wipe with a bit of cloth made it disappear as if by magic. "F***ing hell" she said (a quaint turn of phrase I think you will agree), "what the hell does it do to the furniture if it can do that?":eek: I have often wondered that myself!
    An ex-boss of mine got greased up to heaven once when working on his wagon and had nothing with him to get cleaned up with. I gave him a tin of Mr Sheen that I had in my cab for general cleaning purposes (new Mercedes Actross 500hp - had to keep it smart!) and a half mucky cloth with which he quickly cleaned himself up. He was impressed. I later told him to 'stick' his job:mad:, even though driving the Merc was a pleasant way to earn a living.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve just noticed the price on the bottle of paraffin I’ve been using, and it was £5.99 for 5 litres.
    It must be 9 months since I bought it and I’ve probably got enough for another 3 or 4 chain cleans, so it’s pretty cheap stuff to use. :grinning: Used to be even cheaper when the local garage had it ‘on draught’, about 30p a litre IIRC.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I thought there must be a reason why IPA was created ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1