Cleaning Petrol From Ethanol

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by elevensies, Nov 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    As long as you are not in Cornwall, Devon, Teeside or Scotland where they do contain ethanol (as per Esso website ;);)) :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Fair enough mate. Went to my local Shell station this morning (on the bike despite the bloody freezing weather) and sure enough, all pumps now display an E5 sticker, including the V-Plus. May as well stick to the cheaper option I guess. Going to check out the Esso station tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    There's a little black and white E5 sticker on the pump. Shell and BP garages now have them. Our local Esso station advertises their Synergy super unleaded but I've yet to find the pump there - and yes, I have been looking! The local Gulf garage doesn't seem to sell super unleaded either and the nearest Jet garage (in Selby) only sells E5.

SIGH!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    if you read my first post, you will see RON rating has nothing to do with ethanol content, RON is the amount of lead (substitute) that affects knock on timing. ethanol is alcohol added to make a cleaner burn for emissions.
    super unleaded is a higher leaded unleaded fuel if that makes any sense, like the old 4 star.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Katies Grandad

Jun 27, 2017
    St Neots
    The reply I read from Esso stated that they had to display the E5 sticker on the pump because that although their super does not contain ethanol (except SW and NE regions) they could legally put it in. My guess is that they are covering their arse in case they have to move stocks around at some point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The E5 stickers mean there can be anything from 0%-5% ethanol in the fuel so unfortunately there is no way of knowing if it is ethanol free or not other than checking with the individual suppliers :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1